View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:19   #4
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daes
So there could be significant damage to the mechbox with a unported cylinder and a short barrel? Would there also be a loss of FPS (shorter barrel not allowing the BB time to reach full exit velocity)? Does this mean carbine kits (with shorter inner barrels) for armalites could be potentially damaging mechboxes unless the cylinder is changed?

Thanks,
-Daes-
That could be one problem with M16 cylinders pushing M4 barrels. I can't say without making measurements somehow. As it happens I'm working on a piston head of my own design. A prospective new product for AI. I'm slogging through impact measurement trials at the moment. One day when the damn thing is finished and proven, I could use the impact test apparatus to see if cylinder matching greatly affects mechbox impact.

In the meantime, do not dryfire your mechbox. I can show that dryfire imposes a peak impact force about 60% higher than when firing a 0.2g bb. The situation is even worse when you dryfire test your mechbox without a barrel. Even the barrel can produce a measureable reduction in piston impact.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote