View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2016, 23:56   #12
Magwell

Ok, update...

Finally got a chance to game this gun over the past two weekends. The first game was A LOT of patrolling, not much shooting. Pretty unique though creeping around for a change, and none of our squad died during the entire game - certainly a first there.

The second game was much more shooting. Around 150 people in a medium sized field... constantly shooting and getting shot lol. The MK46 worked absolutely beautifully -until- dun dun dun.. something broke.

I'll preface this with saying I think this has happened before with Lonex spur gears but I can't remember on what gun. Anyway my damn spur gear broke. It didn't shear teeth, strip, etc. No... whatever is holding the two gears on the spur let go meaning that the motor, bevel, and half of the spur were able to spin normally, but the the other half of the spur and the sector then piston just sort of moved back/forth as the tension built then released due to the gear letting go about the axle.

The symptoms sounded like a stripped gear or piston, I actually thought at first that I had shattered my piston since it's a light weight one, then thought I stipped my pinon gear on the motor. It would whine like the whir of death when a piston strips for a second then the spur would seem to lock up and shoot. So whiiirrrrr pa pa pa pa pa pa. Honestly though, it's a fairly harmless failure. Literally everything in the gearbox is 100% fine except for the spot weld or pressed section of the spur that holds it together, vs an exploding gear raining death and destruction into the cylinder and motor.

So, damn I really didn't want to re shim after such a good shim job. So... Solutions... In a word, Siegetek. Yes Siegetek "never ever break on you, just give us your first born in exchange" gears. With our poor CAD it's pretty pricey but hey if they never break then I'm ok with that. The downside is they don't have 16:1 gears, the closest is a whopping 14.09 (why we get into hundredths of a gear ratio for Airsoft I have no idea, this isn't a transmission...) I digress. I did rough calculations, and with my current ROF around 21 RPS (1250 RPM) 14.09:1 throws it to 23.8 if I remember right. Yes, 1450 RPM, or an entire CA nutsack mag in less than a minute. Heh. Well. I won't lie a part of me is kind of in love with the idea but the more conservative side is saying that's too much fire power.

So.. solutions:
1. Heavier piston = more moving mass = more energy to move, therefore takes longer to cycle. Could also just add washers/bearings to the piston and remove it from the spring guide.
2. Lower powered batteries. Although, after having a very healthy stockpile of batteries for my LMG's specifically I don't want to buy a new set for one gun.
3. Adding resistance to the system, possibly wiring the box mag in series rather than parallel, although I need to double check the effects of each on the electrical system, may not help.

I'll decide later and post up more once the gears get here... and I reshim, again.

Time for pictures... I decided to paint my LMG. Because, awesome, and because camoflauge. Which does actually make a huge difference.

Oh, and I'm now running a real steel T-Pod G2 bipd/grip, painted to match. Purchased through Wolverine Supplies in Manatoba, great guys go shop there if you need RS stuff, seriously amazing service. Anyway it's the same idea as the grip pod but beefier. Also has some cant to it and lets you set each leg individually if needed for uneven terrain. Don't bother with the repros if you can afford the real one, the chinese knock offs are poorly made. Well, no really? Duh. But seriously, they are crap. Get the RS one. Info: http://www.fab-defense.com/en/catego...eration-2.html

Last edited by Magwell; April 22nd, 2018 at 15:17..
Magwell is offline   Reply With Quote