View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2015, 16:34   #2
Drake
E-01

The CA is indeed a copy of the TOP M249 with the PGC gearbox (the TOP design came with a proprietary system -- CA cloned both the body with the more convenient aftermarket gearbox).

And I'll open a tangent about A&K M249s since I've used one for several years (~2009) and would add a few points:

Stock, the gears are covered in a really thick, cosmoline kind of grease: I would recommend anyone take it apart and clean them up (alcohol and a soft toothbrush will be your friends) and then re-grease them properly;

I can't say for CA, but A&K gears aren't 100% compatible with V2/V3, namely the sector gear: the little peg that pushes the tappet plate back is slightly "lower" (closer to the shaft in the radius of the gear) than other gears I had; using regular gears resulted in the tappet plate being bent upwards into the path of the spring/piston and the mechbox seizing up. Some aftermarket gears may work: the ones I had on hand (Systema straight cut, Modify Torque up, Guarder steel, and stock TM) did not. That being said, once cleaned up the A&K gears were actually nice and appear to have some steel in them;

The stock piston, piston head and cylinder head suck: get better ones. Make sure they seal properly (A&K users know what I'm talking about);

Parts are almost all compatible with CA and a lot of G&P and TOP externals, so for a CA user the same should be true (often times parts, like stocks, are listed as being for A&K only but clearly they'll fit).