View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:22   #17
Syphen

Well, it shouldn't be TOO bad to use that charger, but it depends on the type of transformer that it uses. You can tell by lifting the brick part (the part that plugs in) and its weight. The heavy bricks are transformer based, all they are, is a set of coils changing 120vac into 12vac and then into DC through a rectifier. There is 'smart transformers' too, these power bricks are usually light weight and contain little circuit boards with voltage regulation. If its a smart transformer, it would probably not be an issue at all to use it. If its a transformer then you could have some issues depending on the power at your house that your plugging into because your output will always be a direct ratio to your input.

The BEST solution, if your worried, is to look at the output of that power brick and go get a 120/240 power brick with the same output specs and just cut off the old one and replace it with the new one. I don't see why people are working this out to be a HUGE issue, hell just cut off the wires to the adapter and use your regular charger, thats what I would do. Just lop off the charger brick and strip the two ends of the wires and throw on a large tamiya connector so I could charge with me fancy smart peak charger.

Sponsored by Boland Howe: Cause Scheisse Happens
www.bolandhowe.com
Syphen is offline   Reply With Quote