View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2019, 16:55   #8
That_Limey_Brit

Afternoon chaps,
A word of caution to those who disregard this kind of political play- I'm from the UK. We had this similar situation about 15 years ago.

Funnily enough, political figures love banning things (because that stops bad guys) or at the very least imposing complex and flawed new 'protocols'.

Oddly enough, we have adopted a system that now works pretty well. In case you're not aware, we have 2 levels of "authentication" for Airsoft in the UK:

1) Being 18+ with a fixed address.
2) Criteria of .1) but also a documented, ID proven, skirmish site signed+stamped, externally approved, member of UKARA (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailer's Association).

If you don't have a valid UKARA (most common form to prove one is an airsofter) but are over 18 you fall into category 1 and you may purchase a half black, half bright green/yellow/pink/blue/red/orange gun. Also known as an IF (Imitation Firearm) in the UK.

If you've been through the simple checks and submitted paperwork you get a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm).

I personally have always been part of this ruling after starting 10 years ago. As a result I see it as a reasonably good system. It keeps those soccer moms happy their kids don't have easy access to realistic guns, the stricter controls pleases government and airsofters can continue with their hobby with minimal disruption.