View Single Post
Old January 2nd, 2013, 20:43   #1
Bar1975

High Speed Gears Stripping Pistons

hey guys..

I just recently upgraded my Mp5K (Version 3 GB) to a set of 13:1 High Speed Gears.

I have just stripped the last two pistons I've placed in this thing though. The stock piston that came with the gun had the pick up tooth completely crack off along with shredding of several teeth and a similar stock piston (from a different gun) just did the same thing without the pick up tooth cracking off though. (starting to shred teeth however)

At first i was running a high speed motor with the new gears so i figured that was the cause.. replaced it with the stock high torque motor. The HS Motor stripped the piston in 5 seconds flat (cracked pick up tooth) .. the high torque motor took several hundred rounds before starting to strip.

I had both the pistons properly set up for AOE (Using the Sorbo pad method) and two of the teeth removed. That part is all fine. It's not AOE.

I guess this is a standard case of Pre-Engagement and/or crappy pistons for high speed gear set? Is it possible that this is bad shimming? (I've seen the results of bad shimming and it's usually damage to the gears.. not the pistons so much) In both cases i've checked for proper meshing of the sector gear teeth with the piston teeth.. they meshed together fine. (Shimming was done to the bevel gear.. little to no vertical play in any gears.. i think it's shimmed ok)

Here is what I'm thinking will be my next move. Please advise..

1. New Polycarb piston with a few metal teeth (modify ultra high speed maybe?) Really don't want to spend a lot on a new piston. Maybe SHS with 7 metal teeth or something? (<$20)

2. Short stroke the piston and sector gear by a tooth? How many teeth do i remove? Would i really need to short stroke here?

Question: How many teeth should be on the piston and sector gear respectively for a higher speed set up? (we're only talking between 25fps and 30fps so not really all that high) Right now there are 15 piston teeth (one metal) and 16 metal sector gear teeth.. everything seems to mesh fine so not sure why I"m getting pre-engagement?

Running an M110 Spring and a 9.6V battery with Deans.
Bar1975 is offline   Reply With Quote