View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:52   #7
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Impressive. I've always wondered how Lipo would perform with the proper circuitry in place. I've always been leary of using Lipo because of the fire hazard, but if anyone was going to engineer a safe way to do it, it would be you...

...er, is that apartment of yours a rental? LOL...

The MOSFET switching doesn't protect the battery. What I need to do is install under voltage protection to cut off the battery when it's depleted. For these early tests I'm not too worried, but for game play, I still have to work out an under voltage cutoff cct. As to short out protection, I think I'm not too worried about that. The battery is rated for higher current than motor windings. I think if I get a mechbox stall, the motor brushes will flash off into carbon dioxide and the spinning coils will vaporize into a ball of copper plasma and copper plate the inside of my gun if the current starts to approach the 100A burst limit of the battery. In a sense I'm using the copper motor windings as overcurrent protection.

To mitigate some of the hazards of the battery going critical during charging, I charge inside a fireproof bag:

http://www.liposack.com/index.html

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote