View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:52   #134
Hypnos

Why can we all just get along????

So I can see Illusion’s side of the story. He does not want to become an air soft commie by pushing rule/ law in this website that is not pushed in the firearms act. When he wants proof, he wants federal proof, and no one can show, “Regulation 54, Act 7, Paragraph 22, Line 13; Airsoft is illegal for those under 18 years of age” So because it is not a law being pushed by this free country we call Canada, he will no become a dictator and push it on the web site.

That being said, it is a pretty close fact (though I have not been able to find any newspaper clippings to uphold this fact) that every time airsoft goes to court, it is categorized as a replica, and replicas are illegal for those under 18. I don’t care how a replica is defined or the question of if airsoft is replica, all I care about is when the time comes that airsoft goes to court, it goes to court as a replica and you will be charged under replica law.

So though airsoft is not “illegal”, and by rights we cannot push that you have to be 18 to own one, we can as adults realize that if we do something stupid, we will be charged under the replica act. Most underage people cannot or will not think about this because of two reasons, 1) They are kids and really don’t know about the law yet, and 2) They are kids so what could the law do to them? That is why you should be 18 or older, because with adulthood comes responsibility and punishment as an adult.

Underage people that come to this web sight asking where to buy an airsoft gun, and get told you are under age you can’t, but then don’t listen really have no right to get info from us. If that underage person keeps pushing the fact and says “well fine, I will smuggle it in from the states”, really should not be getting any ideas from our threads. If that underage person that keeps pushing cannot spell worth crap, really shows the point that if they cannot spell, cannot read big words like legislation and prohibited, and should not own a gun that is in the grey area of law where many of these big words are.

That said, I do believe that if an underage person show respect that they should in order to own an airsoft gun they show maturity to gain the info we can provide to them. It is all a question of maturity. If an underage person ask “look I read the FAQ and have some questions you can clear up,” that shows that kid has the brains and the level of maturity that goes with maybe not owning, but at least participating in this gray area.

This web site is for information for those who are of age and those who are underage. I don’t agree with the burn that was shown in the last case of an underage kid that wanted a weapon, but I could see the frustration behind the acts. There was a kid that would just not listen to anything at all and wanted nothing more than some inside info on how to get access to a gun, even illegally. With a determined kid like that, it scares me to think that there was nothing more than anger behind his level of thought, and that leads to nothing but trouble if and when he gets his hands on the gun. In a case like that, it should be his mother asking the questions, since after all as per what the kid said, she would reimburse him for the purchase. As it is right now it should be the parent looking after her own child and it shows in this case the mother is not willing to understand what airsoft is and that crap leads to trouble.

Right now we really still have not come any closer to ending this debate. What we need is some info. What we need to do is show the powers that be that we are mature enough to go slightly above the grey area in law to protect our freedoms we have right now, only because we want to stay in a grey area of law. Without a little more protection we will no longer be in middle, but pushed to one side or the other, and either will cost us a great deal. So we need to know a few things.

1) Though the law is does not really place where airsoft is, how, as an association are we going to place it. Replica, or Firearm or Toy?
2) How are we going to deal with underage people on this web site
3) How are we going to deal with underage people on this web site that really pushes the limit of everyone’s patience?
4) Are we going to post our “interpretation /opinion” of the firearms act on here.
5) Can we as an association with knowledge and privileges with airsoft act like a mature and professional association with knowledge and privileges?

The law is for and against us where it is in a grey area. In other words, they law cannot help this debate, and that is the reason why we have freedom. But I believe it is our responsibility as mature individuals to guide underage people in a mature manner to give them information and get them interested in airsoft. We need something on this website that we can say, “look kid, your not listening, go here and read this, then come back and ask a question, before then, we are not talking to you anymore.”

As this thread has proven, there is no easy answers to some very easy questions and until we start having more info on it on this web site, this debate will never end. We cannot answer Illusion’s simple question because the law in place is full of holes, thus it is not simple to interpret. So we need to start gathering info and placing it on this website. If we have a thread of “airsoft in the news” that would be a great place to start an underage person’s learning experience along with ours. Only then can we maybe come close to answering a question in a grey area. We need to find some black and white information.