View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2016, 02:45   #1
shreddybear

Would like to hear your Effective Range...

What's yours? (Straight shots consistently hitting target--no arcing!)

Longtime reader, joined a little while back. I've read lots of various posts regarding the effective range people get out of their setups, but have a few questions regarding ppl's setups--I would love to hear some examples of your effective ranges, at what FPS you're at, hopup, BB weight, electric/gas, barrel specs, etc...

By Effective Range, I mean the range where you are able to consistently hit a man-sized target without arcing your gun.

Right now I'm using a Tippmann M4 (GBBR) with a 6.03 barrel. I'm shooting .3 gram BBs at about 370-380FPS (around 2 joules, chrono'd with .3s). I use the CO2 setup, which drops in pressure as the cartridge depletes. For the first 40 or so shots, I am able to reach 200ft (half a man-sized target) consistently. By the end of the cart, I'm still good to about 150ft. Safety first, alas, I keep my minimum engagement with this rifle at 50ft--I carry a lower powered sidearm for anything closer! http://msed.bbbastard.com/ATP/06-c-01.htm (A great resource regarding MEDs).

I am very into fine tuning it turns out, and wouldn't mind playing with the hopup a bit more. I've put a flat hop in mine, and saw great results, but I wonder if I could achieve similar effective ranges with LOWER velocity. I wonder if I would have to lighten my BBs to achieve this, or if perhaps the hopup has more potential than I might realize.

Anyway, I know it's easy to exaggerate in these sorts of threads, but I would really like to hear some REAL numbers (effective range) from anyone who has them. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, or if this topic has been talked to death. I just haven't found much out there to compare to (i.e., Lots of threads talk about range, but not necessarily effective range. People have different definitions of effective range, so in this thread, I consider it to be the distance one can consistently hit a man-sized target without arcing/angling the gun, every time.)

THE GIST: What's your effective range? What effective ranges can you generally expect from lower velocities? (Say, 400 on .2s and below)

Please feel free to share, many thanks once again!
-Shreddy

Last edited by shreddybear; August 7th, 2016 at 21:11.. Reason: typos
shreddybear is offline   Reply With Quote