View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2013, 23:01   #10
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post

Veteran players of ASC, how do you do it? How do you not get lit up like a christmas tree?

I stay low, I avoid making unnecessary noise/giving away my position by moving bushes or grass... yet I'm still always spotted first.

My gear is tan pants with OD shirt and chest rig, and a black mask.

Offhand, you may need a better outfit; maybe you do stick out, maybe you don't. Depends where you play.

Secondly, don't just "know" where you are: understand where you are. Understand where people could be in relation to you, how they might see you. This isn't CoD or BF: if you're waiting to see someone to know someone's there, you're most likely already dead.

Start by gaining a situational awareness of your immediate surroundings. That's about 30 meters/100 ft. distance (about a regulation basketball court in length), 360 degrees around, above and below. At that range, unless you're in some really dense bush, anyone who's got the drop on you can probably hit you with a single shot. Keep your head on a swivel, understand people are using cover and concealment, realize where the cover and concealment is in that area around you and where you need to put yourself to not be exposed to it in case there is someone there (cuz if it'll be too late when you out there IS someone there).

Then wait, observe, listen.

Figure out where you're moving to next. Figure out how you'll get there while minimizing how much you'll expose yourself. Then when you feel its reasonably safe to move, move.

Rince, repeat.

Its obviously easier if you have people with you to cover, etc.

Unless they're clueless and just bopping around the woods like they're on an easter egg on, then you're better off alone.