View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2014, 18:25   #26
Reaver_RRTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultipleParadox View Post
Err don't really want to start that but ... *Fire-resistant-Hazmat suit on and diving in in Olympic pool with enough bottled oxygen to last a month* :

From the criminal code (link provided by OP)

I don't think it can be any clearer than this. My interpretation of this is that OP is technically right. That said, is it matter of being worried? Of course it isn't. I highly doubt you'll see a police/RCMP officer going to your home and asking to control and see if you have any evil-prohibited bad-lingering replicas of firearms that shoot under 366...

Honestly curious to see how you guys interpret this the other way around though

Edit: did re-read a few posts, among which Brian's, and although It does make total sense and would agree with that, wouldn't a over-zealot prosecutor be able to leverage the law text as is?

NB: I am not worried at all with this and couldn't care less, but am
Interested in the technicality of it all
That only applies to the importation of airsoft guns though. In reality, at least to me, a 'replica firearm' that is incapable of firing anything PERIOD shouldn't really be illegal. If it cannot fire a projectile of any size, shape or form, why is it dangerous? Or are they concerned that it's a fancy gun looking club? Oh wait, how many paintball tanks have burst and become missiles during a game and injured players? Those aren't illegal. Airsoft guns? 6mm plastic bb can't do much harm, as far as I can tell it can't kill anyone. Sure it'll take out teeth, eyes and eardrums. It can pierce skin and cause bleeding, but it won't penetrate deep enough to reach vital organs... I hope.

Hell, look at bb guns. They fire metal pellets right? Air rifles too. They fire metal projectiles at a faster fps and hit much harder, to the point that they can kill small animals and seriously injure humans and larger animals. Course they don't usually look like an M4A1, or a M40A3, or whatever else you'd like to imagine. Still, they consider a non-working novelty club a threat and illegal, but still allow bb guns, air rifles and airsoft into the country. To me, that's messed up.

I'm not complaining that airsoft and the like should be illegal, by far, no way. I'm just saying in my opinion, the laws are kinda messed up. :/ I can understand concealable weapons like throwing stars, small knives under 4" blades, and shit like that. Yeah those can cause some serious harm. Swords? Axes? Maces? Real steel bladed weapons that can murder people? Those get in fine for the most part :/ My sister ordered a saber, a roman double headed ax, and a three bladed knife from Ebay years ago, all very sharp and capable of serious harm. No issue coming in. A replica pistol unable to fire so much as a puff of air? Naw man! ~ /end rant. holy shit I wrote an essay XD

in essence i would love to see the market open more to us so we COULD import any airsoft rifle and part we need from anywhere. I'd love to get my hands on some awesome looking weapons that I know I could buy from some US retailers but they'd be destroyed at customs. So would everyone. But there are idiots out there who do stupid things for stupid reasons, and that's why we can't have nice things. hopefully there isn't too much information that is incorrect here, and these are only my personal thoughts on these matters.