View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2012, 15:15   #18
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_S View Post
My criteria is easy.

Is the weapon in question in use or was it in use by any military in the world? The MG36 was not, only had a short production lifetime and has been discontinued. I ran one for a year many years back, I loved it but yeah I felt it was like cheating compared to people running M249/M60s so I stopped and got rid of it.

M27 IAR is not a LMG and it wasn't designed to use a beta C mag.

To each their own though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_IAR

Quote:
Design

The M27 is based on the Heckler & Koch HK416, which in turn derives from the M4 carbine and Heckler & Koch G36.[16] It features a gas-operated short-stroke piston action (instead of the traditional direct impingement) with a rotating bolt. It is modified with a heavier barrel and includes a bayonet lug. The free-floating barrel is surrounded by MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny rails for use with accessories and optics. It draws ammunition from a standard 30 round STANAG magazine. Due to its role, high capacity magazines of between 50 and 100 rounds are being explored.[11] The M27 has been successfully test fired with the Armatac SAW-MAG 150 round drum magazine.[17] The M27 cannot be fed from the widely used PMAG 30 GEN M2 magazine that M4s or M16 rifles in the squad can take. However, the newer PMAG 30 GEN M3 and the EMAG were designed to be compatible with the IAR. The IAR will be distributed one per four-man team, three per squad, and 28 per company, with 4,476 total for the Marine Corps. Nine M249s will still be available per company in reserve. The standard optic is the Trijicon ACOG SAW Day Optic. The gas-piston operating system makes the system very reliable, while the SAW has problems with jamming. It is said that in the amount of time it takes to clear the typical jam on a SAW, a Marine can clear a jam on the IAR and fire another 30-round magazine.[11]

IF you showed up to afghanistan in 2002 with a handful of IARs with drum mags and said to a bunch of saw gunners which they'd rather have, I think you'd have a quick answer.

Who doesn't want a lighter weight, more accurate platform that can do the same thing?

but that's neither here nor there, this is airsoft. There's no need to change out barrels or clear jams... only to shoot bitches.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote