View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2019, 19:00   #7
EOD Steve

I just had a chance to do the dual PVS14 and Aurora bridged thing. A video wouldn't be able to properly convey the experience but the short version is : it's not very good but it can get you in the fight. Read on for the longer version.

The biggest downsides for this particular setup are
* the viewfinder on the PVS14 is round while the Sionyx is rectangular. Notwithstanding the fact that one eye is doing the colour thing while the other is green (or white if you're doing the white phos thing), this makes the whole experience quite jarring. (yes I am aware you can switch to green mode). FOV was also quite difficult to line up due to the focal distances of the two devices. You are basically matching up 35mm equivalent to ~43mm equivalent. So everything in the middle lines up but as you get towards the edges it starts to come apart.
* there is lag on the Aurora while the PVS14 is real time. Again, this doesn't sound like a big deal but when one eye is observing one thing and the other is observing something else in another format, with lag, everything together makes the whole experience extremely nausea-inducing. This occurs because what your body is experiencing (turning, moving forwards) doesn't quite line up with what your eyes are observing. Your own experience and tolerance for this will vary.

I can't recommend the split setup. Get either both traditional NVG or both digital night vision.
I can see dual Auroras to be appealing but I cannot recommend it for anything requiring movement due to the lag and low light performance. It would be fantastic for tasks like CP guarding or stationary night observation or following your buddies out on a night patrol but you will either get sick and/or get your ass handed to you if you are dynamically fighting against traditional night vision.

The Steve has spoken.

Last edited by EOD Steve; December 4th, 2019 at 19:03..
EOD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote