View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2015, 23:50   #7
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
I'm stiff iffy about looking down the barrel. I don't have a real steal firearm, and have never dealt with one outside the course with live ammunition, but would there ever be an instance where there is an obstruction that is live ammunition that can not be seen from the breach/action?
Along with muzzle loaders like shelled said, there are a lot of semis out there that don't allow you to remove the bolt without disassembling the rifle completely (and before disassembling a firearm you need to prove it safe :P ), so you cant really see past the chamber. I used to have a model 64 where this was the case. Dropping a cleaning rod down or running the snake through was good enough for me though, but this is a case where you might need to get some light into the chamber and look down the muzzle.

Anything that takes a cartage will not have any live element that would not be observable from the rear of the chamber/feed path unless something crazy has gone wrong. If you can see a clear chamber and remove everything from the feed path you are good to go.
Like I said though, get a bore light to block off the chamber so nothing can get in there.

Chances are you will have a firearm that you can easily remove the bolt and observe the bore from the rear though.
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote