View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:02   #24
m102404
Tys

Thanks again to Kullwarrior for clarifying some more magna GBBR newbie questions. Here's a quick summary of the info (I hope I got it right). I write this because while there are references already to the different bolts being 'real-steel spec" or not...there aren't any layman details for dummies like me.

This has to do with using a bolt carrier spec'd for one brand in a different brand body, specifically using a bolt carrier spec'd for a Prime body in a G&P receiver.

What I was told was that the Prime spec'd bolt is longer than a G&P/WA spec bolt, longer by about 3mm. As such, it will stick out the back of the upper receiver and you won't be able to close the receiver normally. However, you might be able to slide the receiver on and then lock it in place with the two receiver pins.

By removing that extra length you can revert a Prime spec'd bolt carrier to the same length as a G&P bolt, and the rest of the exterior dimensions of the carrier are the same. Then if should work as normal.

It was noted that the interior diameter of a Prime spec'd bolt carrier is smaller than others...so "weights" won't work. Didn't know there were weights for it (I assume to adjust felt recoil and ROF).

It was also noted that if you didn't shorten it as much it would work but not retract far enough for the bolt catch to engage (IMO, with the amount of force involved with these things, that might not be a bad thing).

So...I bought a Prime bolt carrier and I'll cut it down on the grinder to the same overall length of my G&P bolt (which broke ) and see how it works. If I can get my calipers on it, I'll post the dimensions of the G&P bolt and Prime spec'd bolt for reference.

We'll see how it goes...thanks again for all the help!

Tys