View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2009, 21:03   #69
SHÖCK
aka SNK or Shaniqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
taping the port should technically offer very little or no positive benefits whatsoever. There is still the gap between the inner wall and the outer wall where air can pass through as the o-ring passes the port.

Although compression would begin at the very start of the stroke, as soon as the o-ring reaches the start of the port, the seal would be compromised until the o-ring reaches the end of the port.

There may be other effects happening, such as the piston starting the launch of the projectile - followed by a break in projectile acceleration as the piston head reaches the port, causing the piston to accelerate to an even faster speed so that as the seal is closed at the end of the port, it will finish off the compression cycle to launch the projectile at a higher speed.

I would not recommend this as a permanent modification. The o-ring passing by the tape repeatedly may eventually smear adhesive on to the o-ring and across the inner wall of the cylinder.
I'm not very clear on all these mechanisms in action but I can tell you for certain that before I covered up these ports, I could feel a lot of air being blown out of the port on each cycle as the piston moved forward. Despite whatever has occured, I've improved the efficiency of my guns and the amount of air moving through it by taping over the port and having less escape on each compression. I don't know whats happening. All I have is results and I tested this thoroughly. I chrono'd 30 bbs before and 30 bbs afterwards (well within 10 minutes as taping the port is easy) and the gain is a reliable 30-40 FPS without question.

I wasn't dumb enough to put the adhesive side on the inside. I have another piece of tape in between with a smooth surface facing the inside of the cylinder.