View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:40   #1
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Lightbulb Investigating BioVALs BB Claims

I'm starting this as a new thread because I don't want to pollute a retailers' thread with this discussion.

I've taken it upon myself to look into BioVALs online representations of their BB product, in particular their resin based clear "BBBMAX" .27gr BB and the company "Levante Labs" in Switzerland. I'm interested in this product because of the unique claims being made by the manufacturer and the information about it that they've posted on their website. I've been unable to obtain any samples of this product as I've not found a retailer with it in stock, but I am looking forward to actually trying it.

======================================
Issues so far:

1. The Levante Labs Report.

There are absolutely no references or credentialed persons in this document and in fact, there is a signature on the document indicating that the document is authorized for release, but there are no names of persons, technicians, engineers, or scientists or their credentials that conducted the tests. Typically technical reports of this nature are heavily credentialed to support the findings of the report.

Additionally Levante Labs does not appear in any Swiss business directories and has no internet presence other than the report itself. I have inquiries through the Swiss Consulate in Ottawa for verification of the existence of such a firm at the address in the document to see if I can get more information about this firm.

The fact that you can obtain this report by mailing a self-addressed stamped envelope to the address on the report itself indicates nothing - for all you know, this is a post office box or someone's basement.

So, so far I've been unable to validate the authenticity of this report, More to come as I find more information.

2. BioVALs "Certificate" on Website

http://www.biovalbbb.eu/uploads/pdf/...tification.pdf

This is a BioVAL authored document that claims its subordinate supplier's material meets an EU specification for biodegradability. It goes on to state that it is an "unsigned official document". Hmmm... Seems a lot of BioVAL documents are unsigned but official. Its an officious looking document at first glance but in fact when you look at it in detail, its not a certificate, its not even issued by a governing body of any kind. At best I would call this a claim of compliance.

===============================================

I will be upfront about this, I am a BB retailer here in Canada, so I do have declared interests in this area. I am not attempting to create a discrediting campaign for BioVALor its MAXBBB, rather, I am trying to validate pubically made claims so I can better understand their product, its origins and its real endorsements, certifications and performance warranties. They claim this BB is better than anything else on the market. Perhaps they're right, but I intend to hold their feet to the fire on their scientific and testing claims.

I do invite Stefano Valentino, the CEO on BioVAL to address these issues directly or to contact me with further information that clarifies the above issues in order to validate the credentials and certificates they make claim to.

Please do not post in this thread unless you have information to contribute to the above mentioned issues or have direct knowledge of BioVAL and its testing and compliance processes and certificates, or information that can enable a third party to validate the Levante Labs document or the existence of the company itself. Any independent analysis with a name/author is also useful.

Please feel free to bookmark this thread and check it from time to time for updates.

Last edited by Scarecrow; May 5th, 2009 at 09:45..