View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:30   #23
ScottMcLeod

Send a message via ICQ to ScottMcLeod Send a message via AIM to ScottMcLeod Send a message via MSN to ScottMcLeod Send a message via Yahoo to ScottMcLeod
Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
instead of fibercore couldent you use a white sheet tacked up to the wall then smooth it out
Even better, get a roll of white seamless paper (or large sheet of bristol board, depending on the size of the product) from your local photo supply for not too much and set up a gently curved background behind the object. It'll provide a "white infinity" look if you light it properly.

Hunt for cold (daylight) fluorescents at surplus stores and dollar stores.

IE: 150w (43w) 5500k Fluorescent bulbs are 5.99$ at FactoryDirect.ca (college & spadina)
40w (13w) 5500k Fluorescent bulbs are 1.00$ at dollarama @ College Park (College & Yonge)

I home-built a few socket panels (arrays of sockets) and use these lights as soft lights to do Product Photography. In a pinch, you can also use a clamp-light and one of these bulbs close to the object to create a nice highlight.

As for everything said above, it's bang on. I've been a professional photographer for about 5 years now, and worked at a camera store for most of that, and this is awesomely helpful. On that note, the images seem to have dissappeared from the original sticky. Perhaps they should be hosted on ASC?

Best purchases for your camera:
- Faster lens (f/2.8 if possible, f/1.8 primes (non-zooms) are better)
- Monopod (for airsoft, a tripod is fairly useless due to the nature of the beast, but you can get a tripod + ball head from manfrotto for ~75$ depending on where you look.
- a camera based on a CMOS sensor. If you want the best action shots, you want a camera that can handle low light (high ISO) without being stupidly grainy. Examples of this: Canon Rebel XT, XTi, EOS 20D, 30D, 40D, Nikon D300 (Nikon D200 is a hybrid, decent low light, but NOT a CMOS sensor).
ScottMcLeod is offline   Reply With Quote