Thread: MechBox.com
View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2006, 02:09   #6
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Brian, while I deeply respect the time and effort you put into producing that spring chart, I cannot help but feel the results are inaccurately high due to the bearing spring guide and piston head, tightbore barrel, and other upgrades over stock parts that will serve to preload the spring and improve efficiency. For example, the Prometheus MS110SP ought to clock in at 363 fps according to a straight conversion from 110 m/s. However the chart shows it chronoed 386 fps, some 23 fps over what is normally expected. Why not perform these tests on a stock gun? Wouldn't it make for a more accurate representation of spring velocities?
Again, that's not the point of the chart.

The chart is meant as a comparison between different springs... ie "how much higher can I expect THIS spring to shoot over this OTHER spring?"

Most of the other upgrade parts that I had installed in my test platform were purposely put in there NOT to boost fps, but because they offered considerably higher consistent velocity results over stock parts. I did that in an effort to minimize all variances as much as possible so that the results of the spring test were as accurate as possible.

If I were to go your route, I might as well have also tested in an M4 platform, since that is the most common gun out there... but I chose the P90 because:
a) its design provides a much more consistent velocity
b) its much easier and quicker to swap springs

A side-result of using the P90 is that the velocities also tend to be higher (I surmise this is based on the better air seal design it holds over all Armalites and almost any other AEG design available.)

I hope the above made sense.

Last edited by ILLusion; November 21st, 2006 at 02:13..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote