Thread: M-LOK or KeyMod
View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2017, 21:09   #18
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datawraith View Post
Didn't say anything about it being cheaper to machine (though that's almost definitely true); I said it's easier to machine. I've been thinking about machining my own handguard as I have access to a 5-axis CNC milling machine. I'd definitely do M-Lok as opposed to Keymod.

You do not need 5 axis to make KeyMod rails. The rails blanks are extruded and just need to rotate on a rotory table. The inner chamfers are done with dovetail end mill.

Also, purely from an engineering standpoint, with such a complex geometry, more things can go wrong with the Keymod design. The corners could wear or fracture off and that attachment point is useless. From what I can see, there's literally nothing on the M-Lok rail short of the entire rail fracturing that could damage the mounting point beyond repair.

If you want to go deeper and look at it from a quality control standpoint, it's also simpler to check M-Lok. Just get a set of digital calipers and run it the length of the rails. Good luck checking Keymod. And if tolerances are off, your attachments won't be as secure.

My KeyMod rail is real steel Strike. You are talking about junk made in China. If it is M-Lok or KeyMod, betcha everything is off.

But... Keymod is also a tight friction fit... Why wouldn't the Keymod system do the same thing?

Since when has that ever stopped airsoft manufacturers...
No one says it stopped airsoft industry using. It is just not authorized on paper by Magpul as a legal M-Lok maker.

Last edited by SuperHog; May 9th, 2017 at 21:16..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote