View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2016, 19:26   #92
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

87.1 are nothing but dust/debris shields, most reputable manufacturers will tell you to replace them after a significant impact of anything greater than dust or debris.

Remember that the ratings don't just cover the lens shield, the ratings (and particularly milspec requirements) include the frame as part of the rating. The frame must help distribute the impact forces, much like the windshield of your car requires the frame around it to be strong, and the frame becomes stronger because the windshield is in place.

I've seen people with their 5 year old goggles have the frames break on them because they were either knockoffs or just old enough that the sweat and heat cycling from usage outdoors plus uv rays weakened the material. His lens was in ok shape but the frame was unable to hold the lens properly.

Pyramex stuff is generally under 30 bucks and they make milspec rated stuff in that price bracket, there really is no excuse not to be vigilant and overly cautious about protecting your eyes.