View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:02   #10
Magnumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able View Post
Ya Magnumb we are on the same page. I have some concepts worked out using sim software but its on the electrical side, not the mechanical side, of which im not to well versed.

an issue im having is trying to find out how fast the piston head has to move forward to create enough pressure to get the fps, then converting that using the weight and perm of material used in piston head. Also, with the simulations ive ran, I experience aprox 81% efficiency.

The charge level wouldn't matter so much if it were lipoly as they maintain a fairly steady charge. The issue with the capacitors charging speed is also one I have been working on, I believe by either adding a bank of smaller ones to equal the larger amount required.

The field strength does not even need to be too larger as 1J is not hard to reach.
I think you will have to run a much higher than operating voltage on the LiPo, they would need to be very high C as a cap can draw a lot of current. I imagine you would step down the voltage and increase the amperage to pump as much juice into the cap bank as possible. But you will need to cycle the piston back as fast, if not faster than it's going forward. So if it's not doing so against load (not pushing air) it can return fast with less energy required to accomplish that. Ohhhhh, could go really simple and as the piston slides forward it completes a circuit at the end of its forward travel causing a cap dump into a smaller electromagnet to force it back.

I freaking love this stuff....now if I was only smart enough to use big words to explain it.

You please me Able

Last edited by Magnumb; March 27th, 2015 at 06:05..
Magnumb is offline   Reply With Quote