View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2012, 15:19   #89
Curo
Cobalt Caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKee View Post
Re Afghanistan: Depending on what battle-group you went over with, and where abouts you were, attitudes toward wearing purchased vests varied. If you carried a C7 you are generally issued 10 mags, and if you were forced to use the tacvest, you could hold 5 mags between the pouches and your rifle and the other 5 would fit neatly in the C9 pouch. You usually ditched the 1L canteen pouch and carried a hydration pack, and then had your other C9 pouch for C9 ammo, but that configuration could vary. Keep in mind everyone has a small pack too so all your random items usually stored in the C9 pouch domestically can go in there. The vest works.. I personally dont like it though. The frag pouches are too small for actual frags, the canteen pouch makes it a bitch to get the canteen cup out (not that I ever used that pouch), the velcro wears down too quick, and you can't customize it for grenadiers, gunners, officers, etc. I don't know, just my opinion. Not a bad vest when it's free but I wouldn't pay for one.
I'm not speaking from personal experience of using one, but I see the point you made about free, but over in Afghanistan your life could (does?) depend on your gear. If this vest is as bad as some people say it is then the price you pay using this vest could be your life. But I'm not speaking from any experience what so ever so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes I wonder if all the bitching and complaining about half of the issued gear is because so & so bitched about it, so it must be horrible. Ya'know like how shitty it is got all hyped up and now people hate it without actually trying it. Kinda like how everyone seems to freakin' believe that have Magpul(s) and Magpul Gear makes you some elite highly trained shooter.
Ah well I'll find out for myself whenever they get around to sending me off to BMQ.
Curo is offline   Reply With Quote