View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:43   #100
m102404
Tys

Ok...I'm going to start into a 1911/MEU build...not sure which one nor which route just yet. I'm decently familiar with the Hicapa's but don't know my way around as intimately with the single stackers re. availability/compatibility of all the parts.

I'm ok with putting this pistol together one part at a time if I need to.
Q. Are there any parts for a 1911/MEU that are just impossible (or really, really hard/expensive) to get? i.e. like the hicapa chamber/houp unit...or the hicapa rear sight?
Q. Sort of the same question...If I have a 1911 frame/slide set in hand...are all the remaining parts available separately?

This is going to be a field gun...not a showpiece.
Q. With the myriad of clones out there...am I better off getting a clone and tweaking in upgraded parts here and there....or is the "only" way to do it is to get a TM 1911 and a "TM Spec'd" FMU kit?

MEU vs. 1911
Q. I've picked up that the blowback unit and the little bolt on plate that the hammer strikes are different between the two...are there any other parts that are not the same? i.e. mag catch, sear/hammer/etc....?

Bushings
Q. I've seen some manufacturers note their bushings as Type 1 or Type 2, etc...what are the differences between those?

Hopup unit
Q. Anticipating that the hopup unit is killer to find on it's own...is it possible to use a HiCapa hopup unit in a 1911/MEU and use a Hicapa type spring guide? i.e. will it fit the outer barrel, loading nozzle, frame cuts?

TM Compatibility of alternatives
There's a bunch of 1911/MEU makes out there...KJW, WE, ARMY, Meister, KWA, etc...
I'm pretty certain that the KWA is not 99% TM compatible...are the others?
- I've heard that the WE is not, that the ARMY 1911 is 100%, that the KJW is supposed to be...any firm confirmations one way or another?
- This question is in regards to more than just the mags...really regarding the internals.

Thanks a bunch, if I can firm up answers I'll post them into here for easy reference.

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote