View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2009, 14:20   #1
DonP

Any interest in a small LED "charge remaining" gauge for Li-POs?

I'm considering a simple new accessory. Who would find this honestly useful? Price is aimed to be under 20$.

What it is
A small (maybe 1.5" long and very thin) unit that can plug into a battery and displays on an LED gauge what the condition of the battery is. At a glance would show a visual indication of the remaining charge, and whether the pack is near, at, or below "dead" level to help people prevent dangerous overdischarge. Because unless you check, it's hard to tell how full or empty a pack is!

What it is NOT
  • It is not an in-use "fuel gauge" for your gun. You plug it into the battery, look at the lights, then unplug it. You don't have it plugged in while using your gun.
  • It will not stop your gun from firing when the batteries get low. It is not a switch or a fuse and does not interface with your gun in any way.
  • It will not balance (or check the balancing of) the cells in your pack. Your charger should be doing that.

Intended for Li-PO packs but I might be convinced to consider Ni-MH/Ni-Cd versions too I suppose.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote