Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Accessories Discussion (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   the never ending quest for an airsoft hand grenade (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=13166)

PTE. Pyle June 12th, 2005 23:42

the never ending quest for an airsoft hand grenade

http://www.21stcenturyairsoft.com/details/SAFETBANG i just came across this neat device and though that it may be perfect for airsoft. it is durrable, bright so its easy to find. and most of all its reuseable. with the 120 db bang it is not loud enough to do any serious dammage to ones ears. and we already wear eye pretection. im thinking even with the lack of schrapnal if you were to hear a loud bang close to you ud know u were hit.

Lisa June 12th, 2005 23:53

Dunno if that would make it past customs, but it does look interesting.

PTE. Pyle June 13th, 2005 00:11

i just e mailed the site owners and asked if they have had any problems shipping to canada ill post there responce asap

Suspect187 June 13th, 2005 00:16

Hmm that does look interesting. I'd buy one if it makes it through customs

Gryphon June 13th, 2005 00:19

You won't be able to get the ammunition for it across the border unless it's an approved explosive. I've seen a similar device available from overseas that looks a little different and takes 12 gauge (diameter; certainly not standard length) and 9mm rimmed blank ammunition.

Remington makes .38 Special blank ammunition which is approved here, and there are many different types of rimfire blanks available from Home Depot for ramset systems and the like which could be adapted to a device like this. A simple insert of aluminum or brass in the shape of the intended blank, hollowed out to take either cartridge and offset appropriately for a rimfire, would likely be an easy solution.

Catbert June 13th, 2005 00:24

It says its rated at 150db. Isnt that way beyond safe levels?

Quote:

According to the National Institute for
Occupational Safety and Health, the
maximum safe exposure to noise is no
more than 85 decibels (dB) over a period
of 8 hours. A mere 3 dB increase actually
doubles the sound intensity, reducing the
exposure time to no more than 4 hours.
At 110 dB, one should not be exposed
for more than a minute and a half. A
short, loud and intense sound such as
an explosion or a gunshot may cause
immediate hearing loss.
Prolonged exposure, without protection, to
noise levels above 85 decibels or sudden,
loud and intense noises can lead to
permanent hearing loss and/or tinnitus.

PTE. Pyle June 13th, 2005 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catbert
It says its rated at 150db. Isnt that way beyond safe levels?

Quote:

According to the National Institute for
Occupational Safety and Health, the
maximum safe exposure to noise is no
more than 85 decibels (dB) over a period
of 8 hours. A mere 3 dB increase actually
doubles the sound intensity, reducing the
exposure time to no more than 4 hours.
At 110 dB, one should not be exposed
for more than a minute and a half. A
short, loud and intense sound such as
an explosion or a gunshot may cause
immediate hearing loss.
Prolonged exposure, without protection, to
noise levels above 85 decibels or sudden,
loud and intense noises can lead to
permanent hearing loss and/or tinnitus.

well if u figure that alot of ppl here shoot realy steel on a regular basis it wouldnt be much louder than firing a gun becide your ear. and in all fareness your exposed to louder noises than that on a regular basis throught the day

Cortexburn June 13th, 2005 00:37

Too loud...if you shoot real steel...you wear hearing protection so that isn't really an accurate statement.

It's also too expensive...

Gryphon June 13th, 2005 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by PTE. Pyle
well if u figure that alot of ppl here shoot realy steel on a regular basis it wouldnt be much louder than firing a gun becide your ear. and in all fareness your exposed to louder noises than that on a regular basis throught the day

Anyone with more than a double-digit IQ puts hearing protection on when they're shooting real guns. And no, the average person is not exposed to 150+ dB sounds on a daily basis.

In checking the manufacturer's website, I learned that the cartridges for this device also incorporate the delay element. That means adapting them to take different cartridges is out of the question because it would go off as soon as the spoon was released.

Assuming there's enough interest for a device like this, I can help get the cartridges approved for importation. Not an easy, cheap, or quick thing to do however.

MadMax June 13th, 2005 00:43

I think stating a dB level independant of distance is meaningless since dB level drops by 6dB for each doubling of distance (assuming spherical dispersion).

150dB @ 100ft is entirely different from 150dB @ 3ft in terms of sound pressure.

TNK June 13th, 2005 00:53

90dB and above is harmful to a person's ear. This of course also still depends on your distance away from the location where the sound is coming from.

Catbert June 13th, 2005 01:00

Distance shouldnt be a consideration as there is no way to control how close someone will be to the detonation. 3feet or 100feet.

Future_Sniper_ June 13th, 2005 01:40

Id be interested in using it, Im not really worried about the hearing loss issue. It doesnt affect you imidietly and in the past and in the future more of us will be exposed to loud noises of this DB anyways, more or less. Anyone who goes to a dance club probably will have more worse affects with hearing loss then what this thing will do to you at say around 5 feet.

Penguin June 13th, 2005 01:41

In leu of the million posts on grenades and airsoft, I've engineered a solution.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/jonblack/ha2.jpg

Suspect187 June 13th, 2005 01:46

:lol: