Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Newbie Tank (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Online age verification (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=176550)

devbro February 27th, 2016 17:14

Online age verification

Hello Everyone

I am new to airsoft and airsoftcanada forum. So far I really like it.

Here is a question that I wonder:
Has anyone ever thought of online age verification instead of in person? I know a kid can grab his dad's ID and use it for online form verification but what about something over skype or facetime? What can be some drawbacks to this approach?

ShelledPants February 27th, 2016 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by devbro (Post 1972615)
Hello Everyone

I am new to airsoft and airsoftcanada forum. So far I really like it.

Here is a question that I wonder:
Has anyone ever thought of online age verification instead of in person? I know a kid can grab his dad's ID and use it for online form verification but what about something over skype or facetime? What can be some drawbacks to this approach?

Not allowed. Them's the rules. I suggest you read them.

EDIT: Clarification:

This is a community involved in doing things face to face. Taking the time out of your day to meet with a representative of the site is a small step to being included in the community.

Danke February 27th, 2016 17:20

It has been suggested in the past and shot down.

The drawback is the versifier can't hold the documents in hand to verify they're legit and to compare them to the applicant.

redzaku February 27th, 2016 17:40

These days, in my experience, the way people look like. They can look like they are 16 but when you check their ident card, in reality they are actually 21. Same can be said the opposite, does a liquor shop sells you alcohol without an id?

AnthonyG February 27th, 2016 17:43

I wondered the same thing when I first joined. Age verification is about more than just showing an ID and being done with it. It's a way to tell everyone else you're serious about the community, and for some its the first step to connecting with other airsofters in your local community.

You can't get AV'd over Skype because you can't play airsoft over Skype.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

R.I.T.Z February 27th, 2016 17:46

no

naminator February 27th, 2016 19:18

Hello and welcome to the wildly expensive and addicting world of airsoft.

This topic is going to generate many a salty reply. The reason online verification is not allowed is because of how easily documents could be faked. A blurry webcam picture, hell even a super high quality scan or dslr camera cannot capture all the security halmarks of a real id. Some people ask about other government identifications, but these are nearly impossible to verify online without expensive search engine subscriptions. Then you have the challenge of comparing you to the id.

New verifiers are being added all the time. Look locally and try to find your closest one. Most likely they will be at a local game if nothing else this lets to survey the landscape.

MultipleParadox February 27th, 2016 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by redzaku (Post 1972619)
These days, in my experience, the way people look like. They can look like they are 16 but when you check their ident card, in reality they are actually 21. Same can be said the opposite, does a liquor shop sells you alcohol without an id?

Ah! Don't tell me
I'm 32 and still sometimes people ask for my ID when buying booze 😝

redzaku February 27th, 2016 19:29

Well for me, I am 21 and people tell me that I look like I am in my early thirties

Ricochet February 28th, 2016 00:12

Sheer accountability and being a part of a community. This has been suggested over ten years ago and its remaining this way.