Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Gear Discussion (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Experience with plates? (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=217757)

jwm470 June 3rd, 2019 13:34

Experience with plates?

I'm thinking of adding some better plates to my LBT 6094b. Currently I've been looking at getting some AA shield soft side plates and then a CPE level 3+ multi curve ceramics for the front and back.

Has anyone had any experience with AA shield products? CPE?

Is there any other options for cheap ceramic armor? (want to focus mainly on front and back sapi plates that will fit in the LBT)

Thanks a bunch?

P.S
On a side note, do you guys have any recommendations for a second like ifak setup? Pouches and supplies, or pre-filled ifaks? Looking for ones in Coyote brown to go with my vest

06jorkee June 3rd, 2019 14:43

"Cheap" and ceramic armor are two things that don't belong together. Are you wanting ceramic plates that are actually properly rated/trustworthy, or do you just want some plates to simulate some weight?

If you're going to spring for ceramic plates because you want L3+ protection, don't cheap out on something that's safety related. The idea of cheap body armor shouldn't be a thing. If you just want something for airsoft why not buy a set of non-ballistic SAPI plates and save a ton of money? Or buy a set of Ice Plates and keep cool?

Do you want a carrier mounted or belt mounted IFAK pouch? I'm a fan of tear away kits- CTOMS makes a great IFAK pouch, and for a belt line kit I'd look at the Coyote Tactical Solutions STOMP

jwm470 June 3rd, 2019 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06jorkee (Post 2065977)
"Cheap" and ceramic armor are two things that don't belong together. Are you wanting ceramic plates that are actually properly rated/trustworthy, or do you just want some plates to simulate some weight?

If you're going to spring for ceramic plates because you want L3+ protection, don't cheap out on something that's safety related. The idea of cheap body armor shouldn't be a thing. If you just want something for airsoft why not buy a set of non-ballistic SAPI plates and save a ton of money? Or buy a set of Ice Plates and keep cool?

Do you want a carrier mounted or belt mounted IFAK pouch? I'm a fan of tear away kits- CTOMS makes a great IFAK pouch, and for a belt line kit I'd look at the Coyote Tactical Solutions STOMP

For me "cheap" is kind of relative, I'm hoping for plates around (hopefully under) $300 a plate but I'm kind of flexible with prices. I just want something that is reliable and will work if it needs to.

I'm looking to have a second line set up for a IFAK that will be larger than a first line set up. I'm working on trying to set up a belt once my vest has been propperly taken care of, and I think I'd be trying to get a smaller IFAK on the belt such as Blue Force Gears micro trauma kit or something such as that (maybe the LBT 9022b)

06jorkee June 3rd, 2019 18:01

I believe Grey Ghost Gear is having a blow out on ceramic plates right now at $550 for a set. Otherwise, $300 a plate might be tough for ceramics. I'm running APM Technologie's myself.

For a small belt IFAK, the BFG micro trauma is nice. If I was in the market for a small one i'd give the coyote tactical burrito a hard look

jwm470 June 3rd, 2019 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06jorkee (Post 2065986)
I believe Grey Ghost Gear is having a blow out on ceramic plates right now at $550 for a set. Otherwise, $300 a plate might be tough for ceramics. I'm running APM Technologie's myself.

For a small belt IFAK, the BFG micro trauma is nice. If I was in the market for a small one i'd give the coyote tactical burrito a hard look

Could you maybe link the sale? I can't seem to find it.

I think I'll give the tactical burrito a look, anything else your recommend for PC setup?

06jorkee June 3rd, 2019 18:58

https://sjhardware.com/product/ggap-...10-x-12-plate/

As far as recommendations go, it depends on what your intended purpose or role is. As a general rule, I set up to have 3x rifle mags and 2x pistol mags, and med supplies available on my carrier as a bare minimum, and then go from there depending on what i'm going to need for the day/weekend/course/etc. It also depends if you're talking airsoft or real steel.

jwm470 June 3rd, 2019 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06jorkee (Post 2065990)
https://sjhardware.com/product/ggap-...10-x-12-plate/

As far as recommendations go, it depends on what your intended purpose or role is. As a general rule, I set up to have 3x rifle mags and 2x pistol mags, and med supplies available on my carrier as a bare minimum, and then go from there depending on what i'm going to need for the day/weekend/course/etc. It also depends if you're talking airsoft or real steel.

currently I'm just doing airsoft, but looking to get into real steel soon. I'm running 2 double decker taco's on the front with a single taco and a ITW fastmag stacked to complete the front panel. I also have a Blue Force Gear 10 speed double mag pouch under my arm on the right side for bumping any mags that need to be replaced on the front. It's fairly slick and a decent set up but i still need comms for my comtac 3's and meds.

Joining the reserves soon since I'm looking for some experience before I go to RMC later down the road since I'm pretty much set up to go there with a position on the volleyball team

Drake June 3rd, 2019 19:28

Don't use real ceramic plates to play if you ever intend to use them to potentially stop any kind of real bullets: impacts or dropping can damage the ceramic and diminish their effectiveness.

Use training plates to train / play. It's about $150 for a pair of Team Wendy SAPI training plates. Not gonna break the bank and it will keep your real plates up to snuff for when you actually need them.

jwm470 June 3rd, 2019 19:40

yeah, for playing I was mostly thinking of keeping my foam sapi plates and using them or getting some weighted ones

06jorkee June 3rd, 2019 21:26

I think the Qore Performance iceplates are where it's at for airsoft

jwm470 June 4th, 2019 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06jorkee (Post 2066004)
I think the Qore Performance iceplates are where it's at for airsoft

how well do they tend to work? the only thing I'd be concerned with is condensation making my shirt wet and soggy. Also how would you run both a front and back plate with them both having drinking tubes? just hide one till you need it?

06jorkee June 4th, 2019 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm470 (Post 2066013)
how well do they tend to work? the only thing I'd be concerned with is condensation making my shirt wet and soggy. Also how would you run both a front and back plate with them both having drinking tubes? just hide one till you need it?

You don't have to run them as plates in your carrier- you can strap them to the back of it, or buy the sleeve that attaches it as a separate back panel pouch. Or you can run them in the same plate bag behind your current plates.

They have a 4" section of tube coming out of the reservoir that has a female quick detach fitting on it that accepts the male end of most popular reservoir hoses out there. You could run two hoses off it and stow them on your carrier, or you could run a single and just swap it to the fresh reservoir once your first one runs out.

BioRage June 14th, 2019 16:45

Your PM box is full.

jwm470 June 15th, 2019 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioRage (Post 2067533)
Your PM box is full.

yeah, just fixed it and deleted a bunch of old messages