Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Newbie Tank (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Sniper Certification - Help Me Understand! (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=138080)

Killyin March 20th, 2012 13:55

Sniper Certification - Help Me Understand!

Hi!

So I keep reading about sniper certification and some hosts requiring different levels of certification depending on when/where/how their game is to be played.

What's up with it, what's involved, and why do I need to be certified to play with a BA rifle as opposed to an AEG or GBB/Pistol?

H1TMAN March 20th, 2012 14:13

certification is not required to use a BA rifle. Most game hosts will only allow you to use a BA rifle firing 450 FPS, with the certification certain game hosts will allow you to use a BA rifle firing 500 FPS.

The purpose of the certification is to teach the basic of being an airsoft sniper and to create safe operators due to the higher FPS limit associtate with BA rifles.

Crunchmeister March 20th, 2012 14:14

Different fields have different rules, but for the most part, BA certification is often asked for when the sniper is using a high-powered sniper rifle. Typically, snipers are shooting 450+ fps, and at velocities like that, the potential for injury is very real, especially when paired up with heavier BBs (usually 0.3g+ for sniping that hold their energy a lot longer in flight than lighter ones). Snipers need to understand minimum engagement distances, must be great marksmen, etc...

If you showed up with a sub-400 fps rifle, I don't thing anyone would care that you had a sniper or not. Certification is intended for high power rifles.

Matt 'Maverick' Watts March 20th, 2012 14:17

Sniper certification is so that you can shoot at higher velocities than the aeg's or gbb's on the field SAFELY. There is a MED (minimum engagement distance) that needs to be adhered to when shooting at the higher velocities to ensure safety.

Clinics are held several times a year, and train you in recognizing what engagement distances are, among other necessary airsoft sniping information.

I suggest getting yourself age verified so you have access to the threads where this information is listed.

Matt 'Maverick' Watts March 20th, 2012 14:17

4 minutes... 3 answers... there ya go! :P

Killyin March 20th, 2012 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by H1TMAN (Post 1625079)
certification is not required to use a BA rifle. Most game hosts will only allow you to use a BA rifle firing 450 FPS, with the certification certain game hosts will allow you to use a BA rifle firing 500 FPS.

The purpose of the certification is to teach the basic of being an airsoft sniper and to create safe operators due to the higher FPS limit associtate with BA rifles.

I'm just thinking that a BA firing 450fps on a .20BB is not that much more energy than an AEG firing 400fps with a .20BB. I'd rather take a hit from a 450fps BA to the chest once than a cloud of BBs from a 400fps AEG!

The primary concern was that if I were to show up to a game with a BA rifle I would be turned away without this certification. It seems more now that common sense and good fellowship are more important than the extra 50fps.

Brian McIlmoyle March 20th, 2012 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killyin (Post 1625090)
I'm just thinking that a BA firing 450fps on a .20BB is not that much more energy than an AEG firing 400fps with a .20BB. I'd rather take a hit from a 450fps BA to the chest once than a cloud of BBs from a 400fps AEG!

The primary concern was that if I were to show up to a game with a BA rifle I would be turned away without this certification. It seems more now that common sense and good fellowship are more important than the extra 50fps.

There you go.. you get it

Killyin March 20th, 2012 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt 'Maverick' Watts (Post 1625087)
Sniper certification is so that you can shoot at higher velocities than the aeg's or gbb's on the field SAFELY. There is a MED (minimum engagement distance) that needs to be adhered to when shooting at the higher velocities to ensure safety.

Clinics are held several times a year, and train you in recognizing what engagement distances are, among other necessary airsoft sniping information.

I suggest getting yourself age verified so you have access to the threads where this information is listed.

I'm working on the AV. I don't have a lot of time through the week with work and jiu-jitsu so I'm trying to wiggle it in there somehow.

Styrak March 20th, 2012 14:51

Where do you live? "Sniper certification" is only an Ontario thing, and only at certain games/fields.

Killyin March 20th, 2012 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styrak (Post 1625111)
Where do you live? "Sniper certification" is only an Ontario thing, and only at certain games/fields.

Toronto!

Aedan798 March 26th, 2012 13:57

Sniper certification is also valid in province Of Qc and is made by one guy who held 2-3 clinic of sniper certification.

FOX_111 March 26th, 2012 15:15

I'm the one responsible for the Qc certification program.
I'm doing 2 or 3 clinics a year depending on demand and time.
I also certified a new instructor last year, so we might have more clinic running soon.

The demand is pretty high every years and I keep the standards high. So places fill up quickly.

CodeName Sempi March 26th, 2012 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by FOX_111 (Post 1628329)
I'm the one responsible for the Qc certification program.
I'm doing 2 or 3 clinics a year depending on demand and time.
I also certified a new instructor last year, so we might have more clinic running soon.

The demand is pretty high every years and I keep the standards high. So places fill up quickly.

Juste dememe aurais tu fixer une premiere date pour une clinic? moi jaurait 3 personne qui irait avec moi du coin de granby

Ricochet March 27th, 2012 12:14

Apparently there is one in BC now as well. However the BA certification isn't recognized in Western Canada. There are many games in the East that don't rely on it either. They have strict rules to adhere to no matter the level of certification. I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have at all. In fact it would be nice to have one closer by. One per province at least. That may get it more generally accepted, and practiced.

cordless February 11th, 2017 00:25

Is this still a thing? If it is can some please redirect me where to go about it