Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   Sterling Grip (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=163508)

Emre1337 March 25th, 2014 15:07

Sterling Grip

Not sure if anybody here likes Funker Tactical or not but I recently came across this video which shows a different grip technique. While at first I was very skeptical, I now want to put this technique to use. While it seems more for RS application then airsoft, I think it should still provide more stability when firing on the move, especially for people who run GBBR's.

This is the video: Zero Sterling Grip: Extended Explanation - YouTube

Danke March 25th, 2014 15:54

Holding the magazine of a Sterling while firing is a great way to get a boot up your ass (along with a FTF).

Emre1337 March 25th, 2014 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danke (Post 1878517)
Holding the magazine of a Sterling while firing is a great way to get a boot up your ass (along with a FTF).

Lol

But that's not the point of the video, its using a grip on a 45 degree angle. I know some people will bash but I just want to see if anybody can add information on why it may or may not be useful. Yes I am a "n00b" as I just recently (November 2013) got into Airsoft and purchased some basic equipment and gear.

Brit ter March 25th, 2014 19:26

When using the sterling , holding onto the mag was a no,no as it would put pressure on the mag and could jam or misfeed ! Also the weapon could climb when in full auto , looks to me that this firing technic would allow the weapon to climb when using it in a full auto mode !might be fine for airsoft but not real steel!

Emre1337 March 25th, 2014 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brit ter (Post 1878580)
When using the sterling , holding onto the mag was a no,no as it would put pressure on the mag and could jam ! Also the weapon could climb when in full auto , looks to me that this firing technic would allow the weapon to climb when using it in a full auto mode !

Tru, but I think it all depends on play style. I prefer firing in Semi-Auto mainly because it's more accurate. Also GBB's tend to have cooldown issues when fired in full auto, would much rather fire in Semi, besides, all you need to do is hit your opponent once with a bb right?

Brit ter March 25th, 2014 19:36

1 Attachment(s)
Just for reference , this is the correct stance for firing a sterling

Danke March 25th, 2014 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emre1337 (Post 1878572)
Lol

But that's not the point of the video, its using a grip on a 45 degree angle. I know some people will bash but I just want to see if anybody can add information on why it may or may not be useful. Yes I am a "n00b" as I just recently (November 2013) got into Airsoft and purchased some basic equipment and gear.

Be concerned when the first think out of the mouth of your "Tac Trainer"' is 100% wrong and they picked it up on youtube.

Be really concerned; and as a rule anything else they state as fact is not to be taken as fact.

FirestormX March 25th, 2014 20:06

I'd imagine that the main drawbacks are that this won't have the same advantages as the C-clamp grip.
C-clamp is supposed to help control muzzle climb, and have "the most control" over your barrel. For example if you have a vertical grip, and you only hold the grip (and not the barrel), and you spin around real fast, the top of the gun will wobble about, since you don't have full control over the barrel.

The other huge disadvantage to this, is alternating shoulders. Unless you do a shoulder bump, you're not going to have a fun time moving your primary hand from your pistol grip up to that "sterling grip".

It does look nice and comfy, though. Magwell grips are comfy too. Not necessarily efficient though.

Emre1337 March 25th, 2014 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danke (Post 1878587)
Be concerned when the first think out of the mouth of your "Tac Trainer"' is 100% wrong and they picked it up on youtube.

Be really concerned; and as a rule anything else they state as fact is not to be taken as fact.

Lol I'm not using this technique currently, I tend to switch between the "C-Clamp" and griping the Magwell, but if it works, what does it matter what it looks like? Also, I'm not discrediting the C-Clamp, it's a tried-and-true, universal technique used all over the world. This Sterling Grip technique is something posted on youtube by one guy fairly recently, and there are no discussions about it really so I can't get any more information on it.