Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Gear Discussion (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Trying to find the right radio (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=217707)

jwm470 May 29th, 2019 18:33

Trying to find the right radio

Hey guys!
I'm currently looking for a good radio choice to finish up with my comms setup. Just wondering what you guys would recommend? I don't have my amateur radio license so I would prefer ones that don't require it. Also looking for the radio to have a 2 pin kenwood connector since that seems like it would be the easiest to use a PTT on (going to have to get one from Tp120 since i am running Peltor Comtac III's).

Any help would be great!

Hiker_Boy May 30th, 2019 01:46

I doubt you're going to find a FRS radio which uses Kenwood connectors and most adapters do not work. I commend you on wanting to keep your coms legal. Take the course( I did it two months ago) and you'll have access to all sorts of awesome radios.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Danke May 30th, 2019 10:34

Lintons had Kenwood pins. Not sure if they still do. Technically in the bad books like all those other import handhelds that are programmable and have a replaceable antenna.

jwm470 May 30th, 2019 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiker_Boy (Post 2065805)
I doubt you're going to find a FRS radio which uses Kenwood connectors and most adapters do not work. I commend you on wanting to keep your coms legal. Take the course( I did it two months ago) and you'll have access to all sorts of awesome radios.

how hard is it to get a license? I can't seem to find a lot of information online for how to get a license. I do believe i have to take a exam, but I'm not sure what materials i would have to study and where i would have to go.

St. Ides May 30th, 2019 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm470 (Post 2065787)
Hey guys!
I'm currently looking for a good radio choice to finish up with my comms setup. Just wondering what you guys would recommend? I don't have my amateur radio license so I would prefer ones that don't require it. Also looking for the radio to have a 2 pin kenwood connector since that seems like it would be the easiest to use a PTT on (going to have to get one from Tp120 since i am running Peltor Comtac III's).

Any help would be great!

Give this thread a read ==> http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=163816

Hiker_Boy May 30th, 2019 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm470 (Post 2065831)
how hard is it to get a license? I can't seem to find a lot of information online for how to get a license. I do believe i have to take a exam, but I'm not sure what materials i would have to study and where i would have to go.

Looking up information from your local amateur radio club's Facebook page is probably the best way to start but you can find out more about the certification on this site. https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gs...g/sf01008.html I just looked up on the net which group was holding classes at the most convenient location and times and then signed up.

jwm470 June 1st, 2019 22:27

Thanks a bunch for all of the help guys! I think I'm going to take your advice and just go for my amateurs license since it'll be easier that way

Hiker_Boy June 2nd, 2019 01:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm470 (Post 2065915)
Thanks a bunch for all of the help guys! I think I'm going to take your advice and just go for my amateurs license since it'll be easier that way

Excellent. You wont regret it. You'll have access to better quality radios and accessories when you get certified since many of the better vendors won't sell to anyone who doesn't have a registered call sign.

jwm470 June 2nd, 2019 21:15

sounds good. The more I think about it and all the pointers you guys gave the more deadset I'm becoming on getting a license

fortsmithman August 16th, 2019 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwm470 (Post 2065787)
Hey guys!
Also looking for the radio to have a 2 pin kenwood connector since that seems like it would be the easiest to use a PTT on (going to have to get one from Tp120 since i am running Peltor Comtac III's).

Midland GXT 860 and GXT 1000 FRS GMRS radios both use 2 pin connectors similar to kenwood. The speaker mic for the Midland FRS GMRS models mentioned also work on the Cobra portable CB radio.

fortsmithman August 16th, 2019 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiker_Boy (Post 2065918)
Excellent. You wont regret it. You'll have access to better quality radios and accessories when you get certified since many of the better vendors won't sell to anyone who doesn't have a registered call sign.

Is Morse code still a HAM licence requirement.

Hiker_Boy August 16th, 2019 11:27

Morse is a requirement of the advanced certificate but it's a really easy 5 words/min.