Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Canadian Airsoft News Stand (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   UN Company raided by Hong Kong Police (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=153824)

Stealth April 26th, 2013 16:06

UN Company raided by Hong Kong Police

Hope nobody ordered from UNCompany recently. LOL!!!!!

Quote:

With the campaign against modified high-powered airsoft guns and air guns used which were used to shoot unsuspecting people as we have written about before, Hong Kong police have raided airsoft shops and warehouses in Wan Chai and Chai Wan. UN Company was said to have been one of the shops raided as it is located in Wan Chai.

Some say that these shops and warehouses are selling airsoft guns that are over 2joules (over 465fps), which are will then be considered as firearms according to the law in Hong Kong.

We're not sure if UN Company is closed pending charges or is still doing business after the raid. We asked our friends from Public Enemy to get a word from them by calling them on the phone but no one was replying from their store. Airsoft forums have been discussing about the raid and there are some worried about their orders placed with the shop.

From the initial report of 40 airsoft guns seized, they say now that the updated total seized were 742 airsoft guns. As for the cimpany in Chai Wan that got raided, we're trying to contact the company that we know of which is located in the same street to confirm if they were raided to.
Video link:
http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realti...30425/51369422

Bigguyken April 27th, 2013 21:58

The shop will not be open. I went by there on Saturday night and it is closed. They are not permitted to be reopened again. There will be for sure more raids coming. It is not just about guns shooting over the limit. They have also seized goods with Hong Kong Customs for trade Mark, and copyright infringement.
The whole family that works there were arrested and held for at least 2 days in jail. The police have long waited for the right opportunity to hit these stores, now I am 120% sure from very reliable inside sources that they will raid the other shops also.

Bigguyken April 27th, 2013 22:01

Another thing about the warehouse in Chai Wan. That warehouse is a shared warehouse with UNCompany and King Arms. So really good chance King Arms will have stock problem also. UNCompany is a family owned business, which has run for 15 years. Highly doubtful they will ever open again.

Hectic April 27th, 2013 22:09

Sad to see a family and their company ruind over what seems like just tryin to make a few extra bucks on upgraded and trademarked guns. Hopefully they will be able to overcome this and if not reopen maybe be able to open a new shop.
I thought they didnt have any copyright issues in china?

cav. April 27th, 2013 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hectic (Post 1789539)
Sad to see a family and their company ruind over what seems like just tryin to make a few extra bucks on upgraded and trademarked guns. Hopefully they will be able to overcome this and if not reopen maybe be able to open a new shop.
I thought they didnt have any copyright issues in china?

The things people will do to make quick cash :( Hong Kong is a different story with copyright and all.

Ugh I sure hope some stores in MK won't get raided...I need to pick up some gear T___T

boren93 April 27th, 2013 23:03

Update:

After a long chat with four airsoft companies in HK in the last two hours, we have confirmed the following. It would appear a HK resident purchased an airsoft sniper rifle in January 2013, then upgraded it to what is classed as a firearm under HK law. He was then caught sniping at people in the street. On investigation the police found the airsoft sniper rifle was purchased domestically in HK, and therefore have searched several companies, including one of our suppliers, to make sure no airsoft gun breaks HK local law. This assists in the prosecution as the man will not be able to claim he purchased the gun already upgraded. Therefore he is responsible for the more serious firearms offences. For those who don't know HK, there are around 30 medium and large size airsoft companies and four were searched at this point. Therefore, business with HK has not been affected overall (although there will be some short delays), and will be back to normal with all companies by the 29th. Our UK and European wholesalers have not been affected.

phloudernow April 27th, 2013 23:38

Theres a huge debate going on already on Arnies as well as HKofftheGrid on Facebook but thank you for posting it here again stealth :)

Told my brother about this and he started the thread off arnies about this issue. Ive been a supporter of UNco as i bought my first AEG from them :) also on friendly terms with lots of the staff there so i hope all these issues get resolved...

Chiba April 28th, 2013 01:00

Heh.. I tried to post this here 2 days back. But just wouldn't let me.

Anyways, this is really bad. I just home I can get what I want before it gets worse.

Bigguyken April 28th, 2013 11:52

The guns seized in that raid is about 4,000 in total. From my source who happens to be one of those arrested at the warehouse and spent 2 days in jail. Charges are pending and it is not going to be easy for the family. So far out of the warehouse and store inventory. Seventy-two guns are certified to be shooting in the real firearms range which carries a charge. Seventy-two charges at 14 years per charge is nothing to laugh about. The problems it brings now is this. Hong Kong Customs is now involved.
They want to know why these items are being shipped out of Hong Kong. Since it is against the law to ship airsoft items and parts out of Hong Kong. They are seeing who is helping them inside Hong Kong Post and also UPS. Fedex it seems won't take guns, but will take small parts. There are criminal charges for importing these items out of Hong Kong, even though it seems it was never really enforced before.
The second issue is also why China made guns are getting into Hong Kong. Airsoft parts and guns are illegal in China. They carry even stiffer sentences than Hong Kong.
My friend says the KingArms warehouse and UNCompany warehouse has been completely decimated. Loosing four thosand guns is not a good thing.
Hong Kong Customs is also realising the huge problem now of how many copied/illegally cloned items there are in the UNCompany warehouse. They will most likely loose this to destruction. Seizure of illegally cloned items are a big bonus in this investigation.
Loosing at least $200,000 USD in inventory will shut any medium sized business down. Plus the realty of facing 72 charges of illegal firearms, with each charge carrying a 14 year sentence. Plus the seizure of items alreadsy in the shipping bay for overseas customers. My friend figures at least 100 orders that day has been lost to the police.
This shop and whoever bought from UNCompany is most likely finished. You most likely won't see your money ever again.
More raids are sure to come. Evidently they are "scouting" Mongkok gun area now and some other shops are very likely to face the same situation now.

localfreerider April 28th, 2013 14:47

I just placed an order with them at the beginning of this week, thank god I didn't pay for it yet.

MMatersk April 28th, 2013 15:54

Does this mean will see a slow down in gun and parts availability in NA?

GODSPEED|seven April 28th, 2013 22:22

That sucks, hope they get back on their feet and all.. was anywhere else raided?

L473ncy April 28th, 2013 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMatersk (Post 1789710)
Does this mean will see a slow down in gun and parts availability in NA?

AFAIK there are lot of companies that are run out of Taiwan so G&G, VFC, Ino, Guarder, HurricanE, Modify etc. shouldn't be affected but the fact that "airsoft/hobby street" in HK got raided for "illegal guns" will put a decent sized dent in availability and supply of some guns.

Drake April 28th, 2013 23:36

News article doesn't make it sound like a huge crackdown

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...=20130426&fc=7

Quote:

Shooter arrest during airgun war

Friday, April 26, 2013

A 47-year-old man was arrested in Tseung Kwan O last night for airgun attacks in the area.

Twelve airguns and a stock of pellets were found at the home of the man named Sin. He is being blamed for damage to water pipes and walls of a residential building opposite his home.

Such offenses can mean up to 14 years in prison and big fines.

The arrest came a day after police nabbed seven men and five women linked to a shop selling airguns modified for a velocity beyond the legal limit.

About 4,000 guns were seized in the raid on a Wan Chai shop and a Chai Wan warehouse. Tests on 700 show illegal velocities.

The owner of the shop, named Cheung, about 40, remains at large while the 12 arrested are being held over illegal arms.

A spokesman for the Hong Kong Airsoft Shooting Association said people buying new airguns often have them adapted immediately to boost stability, accuracy and durability.

Some buyers may also demand a power upgrade, thinking that will help win games, he said. "But increasing the power is meaningless. Winning a game depends on accuracy."

Police arrested a 26-year-old man in February for air-rifle shootings that wounded a teenage girl and a child on an estate in Tin Shui Wai.

CANDY CHAN

phloudernow April 28th, 2013 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigguyken (Post 1789668)
Since it is against the law to ship airsoft items and parts out of Hong Kong. They are seeing who is helping them inside Hong Kong Post and also UPS. Fedex it seems won't take guns, but will take small parts. There are criminal charges for importing these items out of Hong Kong, even though it seems it was never really enforced before.

I have never heard of this before... like ever... I do not know of a law in HK that says it is against the law to ship airsoft items and parts "OUT" of hong kong.

Is there any legal document you can quote? I have not seen any document that specifically says but here is a doc that specifies fire arm laws in HK i can't understand it fully since the translation is confusing maybe someone can care to dissect it and tell us but as far as I am reading it looks legal as long as you have a licence to do so?

http://www.legislation.gov.hk/blis_i...3?OpenDocument

Because you stated that it is against the law to ship airsoft items and parts out of HK, what about all the big companies like CA, G&P, ARES? they are all HK companies that deal around the world so wouldn't they be breaking the law as well? I'm sure that they've done their research and there isn't an issue in exporting airsoft items and parts......UN has been around for 15 years...if it was law breaking to exporting airsoft I'm sure the customs control would have done something about it... just what Im thinking...even if its been lax the amount of airsoft being exported, I'm sure at least one or two have gotten into their hands to be inspected right? i mean thousands of airsoft guns are shipped out by different companies everyday.... Im just saying.....

I may be wrong but please I would really like to know..

PS. I am in no way being hostile just would really like to know... incase you take my msg in a wrong way