Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   KILLZONE Helghan Assault Rifle (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=33830)

Ceros January 23rd, 2007 20:29

KILLZONE Helghan Assault Rifle

Hey all. New guy here. I work in film and television doing various things from animation, to props, models, and makeup (I'm also about to make the jump from PB to airsoft, I just have to research a few guns before I decide where to throw my hard earned cash). Anyways... I've been hooked on the videogame KILLZONE for the PS2 for the last few months, and I want to begin fabricating a costume of the Helghast Army.

Here's my dilemma. I could spend way too much time and effort making the gun from scratch, or I could see if anyone here might suggest what combination of guns I could "kit-bash" to get the basic components and body layout, then later finesse with hand-made detailing.

Here's the weapon I'm talking about.
It's basically an assault rifle with a shotgun mounted below the main barrel.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ns/HgRifle.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...Weapons/05.jpg

Any ideas of what actual gun or guns this might have been based on would be really appreciated folks.

Thanks
Ceros

tunabreath January 23rd, 2007 20:37

Hmm, doesn't look like you could do that with an AEG unless you put the mechbox inside the helical mag... Maybe a classic BV system would fit in there?

freddyclaw January 23rd, 2007 20:43

No idea how you would put it together but looks sorta like a Famas and G36 of some sort.

LUTNIT January 23rd, 2007 20:45

If you make the section just above the mag solid you could stick a ver.6 mechbox out of a P90 there. Mags would still be a bitch, maybe just a permanently attached hopper and hicap/electric boxmag. Most of the body would have to be custom fabricated.

Ceros January 23rd, 2007 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunabreath (Post 412383)
Hmm, doesn't look like you could do that with an AEG unless you put the mechbox inside the helical mag... Maybe a classic BV system would fit in there?

:( Oh... drag. Thanks tunabreath. ;)

OK then, let's say for the sake of replicating one that wasn't able to fire (although I understand this thread is more for working mods), does anyone have any ideas as to what guns I might use to base this design off of?

Good call on the Famas there Freddyclaw. I had looked at that option, but I think your G36 recommendation is what I've been looking for. The two combined with an shotty might work.

Ceros

tunabreath January 23rd, 2007 20:55

As freddyclaw said, shapewise, it looks a lot like a FAMAS with G36 optics inserted into the carry handle.

LUTNIT January 23rd, 2007 20:57

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/lutnit/gun.jpg

Thats my take on the internals but you'll need to custom fabricate most of it since it doesn't look anything like any airsoft gun I've ever seen. Other than being a bullpup it doesn't look much like a FAMAS either. Those also aren't that close to G36 optics. G36 optics have a much smaller lens, isn't as bulky, and the carry handle is much thinner. It does kinda resemble G36 optics in basic shape but you'd still have to redo pretty much all of the exterior to get it to look right.

freddyclaw January 23rd, 2007 21:26

I was looking at the location of the optics and noticed you may have troubles using them with a mask.

Ceros January 23rd, 2007 21:51

Yeah... the optics are in a pretty ridiculous place, but hey... that's video games for you right? If I could manage to get the internals worked out, and get the body fabricated.... I would definitely have to place the optics elsewhere (RIS with a 90 degree converter?). I'd just have the ones in that location fabricated as "dummy optics".

I wanted to thank everyone so far for their input. I really appreciate all your ideas... keep 'em coming if you have more.

Ceros

[Lithium] January 24th, 2007 02:11

Shouldnt be a terribly bad time, the optics are basically the g36 optics.

falconwind February 3rd, 2007 20:22

Hey Ceros, I'm a new guy here too.

You might have to settle for something that 'resembles' the helghast rifle, rather than accurately replicates it. A FAMAS does look like a promising place to start, as far as the carrying handle and bullpup design. With some modification, it could work. You do props and stuff professionally, so I'm sure you have access to equipment and knowledge that most of us don't.

In regards to a uniform:

I've been trying to put together a helghast uniform as well, though, I've only succeeded in mimicking the general look and feel of it. It's tough, but not impossible. I've taken mine about as far as I can without major modification.

If you want to compare notes, I'm all for it.

Johnder February 13th, 2007 06:31

Famas -yes, Try SA 80 . You can also try to use TM m14 gearbox or MP7

You can try to put a new FAMAS body on to MP7 and just repleace the barrel. It would save you some problems with GB and Mag.'s . Larger bat. can be placed in the custom-made rear.

Sorry for any typo's

LUTNIT February 13th, 2007 13:08

I really don't recommend the MP7. It shoots ~250fps/0.20g BB's with almost no upgrade potential.

The FAMAS' ver.1 gearbox though solid stock also has next to no upgrade options relative to ver.2/3/6/7 You could try an SA80/L85 and reskin it but the G&G one takes a lot of extra money to get working well so it will probably end up costing as much as the STAR one which is around $1000.

If the shotgun doesn't have to work you could use an M4/M16 which are cheap (relatively) and plentiful and hide a VN shorty mag in the shotgun receiver. Then just build some huge convoluted stock to mimic the helgast one.

In my opinion if you take a FAMAS and add some doodads on it to make it look closer to the helgast rifle you will end up with a gun that looks like a FAMAS with some doodads added onto it, not a helgast rifle.

S.H.I.E.L.D. February 13th, 2007 15:07

Man I really wanna check this game out now. Gun looks interesting. It'd be nice to see someone mod an airsoft gun to make a Helghast assault rifle.

Kwokwai February 13th, 2007 17:56

Hmm... seems like a variant of a Space Marine M(whatever it was). Perhaps another Thompson/shotty combo?