Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Upgrades & Modifications (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My First upgrade? (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=223413)

Felifel October 7th, 2020 10:41

My First upgrade?

Hi guys!
I am new in the sport and I need some advise to know where I'm going.
I recently bought a g&g gr15 and I realized when I play with friends in the forest, my bbs doesn't go as far as my friends (stock raider and stock cyma) before I lose some accuracy.
Even when I try to adjust the hop up.
So first, I disassembled,clean, grease and re-assembled the weapon but I didn't feel any difference with the performance.
So I did a bit of research, I end-up thinking my first upgrade should be the gearbox because it seems to be the first thing that break if I upgrade motor or battery.

What do you think of this already assemble gearbox.

https://www.canadiancartel.ca/produc...3b7d3868&_ss=r

Is it worth the money or should I buy everything separately.

Thank you for your answer

And sorry if my English is not on point.

Drakker October 7th, 2020 12:18

Range an accuracy can probably be fixed by a simple hop-up rubber swap. G&G uses notoriously bad hop-up rubbers in their lower end products. Also, disassembling, cleaning and greasing an AEG will not fixes problems with it, it's basic maintenance, but it has no effect on accuracy whatsoever. Changing the gearbox is expensive and will not do much either unless your compression is REALLY bad, like, when you chrono it, you get +-50 fps or worse. Buying a new gearbox that is over half the price of a gun is also a bad idea, keep that money for a better gun.

First, you'll need to disassemble only your barrel group, that is hop-up unit and inner barrel. Make sure the barrel is clean, you can use microfiber clothes or at last resort, kitchen paper towel, to clean the barrel and do it until the patch comes out perfectly clean. Then check the hop-up rubber, if its black, trash it, its not worth using, if its green, which is should not in their low end products, you can keep it, it's their good rubber.

So, if its the green one, clean it thoroughly with dish washing soap to remove all grease/oil on it. Then reassemble the hop-up unit correctly, not forgetting to put the little nub back in, and enjoy your newfound accuracy.

If it's a black rubber, trash it as I said earlier. Buy a better hop-up rubber, everyone has their favorite brands, for me, Maple Leaf rubbers have worked amazingly well. Get one that is not too hard, 60-70? is good. Install that, following the instructions above, and enjoy good accuracy.

So, now that you got your barrel group fixed, buy high quality BBs, at least 0.28g, 0.30g and 0.32g are even better. Now enjoy very good accuracy AND range.

Next, the most crucial part, don't mess with it, and don't buy random upgrade parts. Most cheap upgrade parts on the market are complete trash that are more likely to make your gun worse than better. A lot of newbies will tell you to change your inner barrel, don't. A good inner barrel costs a lot, cheap upgrade barrels are likely to be worse than your stock barrel. If your compression is really bad, only 4 parts will help, the piston head, the cylinder head, the loading nozzle and the hop-up rubber. But buying all those parts to put in a low end gun is a bad idea, you might as well save your money and use it to buy a higher end gun later that doesn't need any upgrades. Upgrading a low end gun or buying a high end gun comes around to the same price anyway, so don't waste your money on this gun. Use it until it breaks, or use it as a loaner when you get something better, but don't put any money in it. It's a good gun for starting and to get a feel of the sport, but don't expect it to perform like a Lamborghini.

Felifel October 7th, 2020 12:42

I have that green ruber you are talking(the bucking I think?)
I cleaned it and then I add 1 drop of super lube ( is it a bad idea?)
I cleaned my barrel the way you told. And I have 0.28g bbs

I didn't expect to a war machine gun but it's a bit frustrating when your friends reach target and I can't, when I know we all bought 200$ gun...

Would you recommend to get a new bucking?

Thank you for your really detailled answer :)

Ratters October 7th, 2020 13:41

Most avid gamers over time generally have more than one aeg. This allows you time to work on one that may not be performing well. As said above, airseal is vital to compression. I would watch some videos on how to work on version 2 gearboxes, how to achieve a solid airseal, etc. Maxx makes a reputable M4 type hop unit. Some of the earlier Combat Machines had wonky hop units which possibly created alignment issues or tolerance issues between the nozzle tip at full extension to the bucking. Some buckings also have a longer or shorter lip which can also lessen or increase the seal.

Side note: when you do remove the barrel and hop unit always make sure that spring is there. Sometimes there are two, a large one over the barrel and a small one on the hop unit. This applies force against the gearbox face for "correct" nozzle to bucking contact.

It comes down to luck for the inexperienced, trial and error for the informed and a science for the experts. Vernier calipers are your friend. Maxx also makes nozzles that are slightly over stock length which improve seal to the bucking and there are adjustable stainless nozzles available but the best advice you can have is what you read in the above posts and watching videos of builds or befriend an airsoft techie with good builds that can help you.

This is the essence of the sport, embrace it if you love it and pretty soon you'll be running guns you won't need to touch for years. They will be that reliable

Drakker October 7th, 2020 17:03

Ok, that green rubber/bucking is not the most accurate, nor is it the best at lifting heavy BBs, but it is an excellent rubber for cold resistance, it works very well in winter. You should be good with that rubber.

Lubing your hop-up rubber negates its effects, it's can't give backspin effectively to a BB if the BB slides on it and it can induce side spin, which further reduces long range accuracy. Cleaning it with dish water soap should fix this.

Next question is, what brand are your BBs? Some BBs are really bad, like, very very poor quality, like Valken or Crossman BBs.

Finally, are you sure that when you reassembled it, you put the nub back on on your hop-up arm? If that nub is missing, its possible that even at max hop-up setting, not enough hop-up will be applied to BBs to lift them correctly, ad you will lose a lot of range. Are you able to over-hop your BBs with your current setup?

Felifel October 8th, 2020 08:34

Yes, I'm sure the nub are there, I just double checked.
I use madbull bbs.
Are they good enough?

I will try cleaning my rubber.

Thanks guys for your help! I really appreciate it

Drakker October 8th, 2020 10:09

Yeah, Madbulls are great, well, the more expensive ones, they have match and precision grades, I always forget which one is the best, so confusing. The other ones are ok, nothing spectacular, but they are not bad BBs, they always feed well and will have few fliers.

So, yeah, cleaning your rubber is a good start, then it would be good to chrono 20-30 shots and see what your average deviation is.