Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Airsoft Guns Discussion (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   A letter from the Ministry of Public Safety in BC concerning Airsoft (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=219143)

Drache June 28th, 2019 16:18

A letter from the Ministry of Public Safety in BC concerning Airsoft

This was sent to our store this morning and sounds like they are being sent to every gunstore and sporting goods store in BC?

https://i.imgur.com/YPXCyz4.jpg

joshua3302 June 28th, 2019 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drache (Post 2067977)
This was sent to our store this morning and sounds like they are being sent to every gunstore and sporting goods store in BC?

https://i.imgur.com/YPXCyz4.jpg

Will BC become like New York City where all airsoft guns must be painted bright yellow or orange?

ThunderCactus June 28th, 2019 18:24

The solution is pretty obvious.
Let's just make it illegal to commit a crime with an airsoft gun.
There ya go, problem solved.
I don't want royalties for the idea, I'm just trying to make the world a better place. XD

Janus June 28th, 2019 18:58

From my cold waiting to respawn hands

Red62 July 5th, 2019 00:07

yikes.

I understand the paranoia, but there should be an option to play with airsoft guns that Don't look like the real thing, but just feel like it in gameplay: rock-in vs straight-insert, mount sights, different mag types and all that jazz just without it looking distinctly like an M4, AK or MP5, etc.

I think that's why Paintball's nowhere near as GrayZoned as Airsoft is, but I understand the pain of being taken out of immersion.

Schoolboy July 5th, 2019 01:45

To be clear the minister is attempting to combat crime (stupidly I may add), the other part is basically banning the use of Airsoft guns in your backyard or on the local play grounds at school. Mainly because kids have been caught screwing around with combat machine M4s on public streets.

The ironic part being Airsoft guns under Canadian law are treated like real firearms in criminal situations. Most local municipalities also ban the use of them in public areas for obvisous reasons.

One a good note they've reached out to the community, the bad news is they don't know squat about Airsoft or the legality of it.

Typical provincial govnerment BS making more by laws to "protect the public" - merely offering another useless law and lip service.

Hiker_Boy July 5th, 2019 11:24

What you have is an ambitious jumior politician trying to score political points by using airsoft as a convenient soft target. There is a absolutely no correlation between airsoft and the gang violence in Surrey but when you frame it in the right context for the ignorant public, it looks like the government is trying to do something....smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

That_Limey_Brit July 5th, 2019 16:55

Afternoon chaps,
A word of caution to those who disregard this kind of political play- I'm from the UK. We had this similar situation about 15 years ago.

Funnily enough, political figures love banning things (because that stops bad guys) or at the very least imposing complex and flawed new 'protocols'.

Oddly enough, we have adopted a system that now works pretty well. In case you're not aware, we have 2 levels of "authentication" for Airsoft in the UK:

1) Being 18+ with a fixed address.
2) Criteria of .1) but also a documented, ID proven, skirmish site signed+stamped, externally approved, member of UKARA (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailer's Association).

If you don't have a valid UKARA (most common form to prove one is an airsofter) but are over 18 you fall into category 1 and you may purchase a half black, half bright green/yellow/pink/blue/red/orange gun. Also known as an IF (Imitation Firearm) in the UK.

If you've been through the simple checks and submitted paperwork you get a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm).

I personally have always been part of this ruling after starting 10 years ago. As a result I see it as a reasonably good system. It keeps those soccer moms happy their kids don't have easy access to realistic guns, the stricter controls pleases government and airsofters can continue with their hobby with minimal disruption.

Matula July 8th, 2019 09:26

They had the same problem in England about 8-9 years ago. The people who practised the airsoft have made a petition, in the end, it all ended with a small permit accessible online for over 18 years to calm the hysterics who saw guns everywhere in schools...

That_Limey_Brit July 8th, 2019 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matula (Post 2068307)
They had the same problem in England about 8-9 years ago. The people who practised the airsoft have made a petition, in the end, it all ended with a small permit accessible online for over 18 years to calm the hysterics who saw guns everywhere in schools...

Eh, not quite. See my post above. But essentially yes- we have a membership number that links us to our Photo ID, address and local Airsoft field. Meaning only that owner of that number can buy guns for themselves.

It's a decent way to stop the average Joe committing an accidental crime (like a 15 y/o playing with their mates in a public park) which saves local law enforcement from arresting/shooting kids or adults with no common sense.

Does it make violent gun crime better? Hmm, I doubt it. But the UK is very tricky to get any real firearm anyway so it's hard to say if our solution will work for Canada/BC.

Ratters July 8th, 2019 19:41

Woe to you, O land, when your king is a child

When you watch local news stories with van loads of hoodlums terrorizing neighbourhoods, running people over with their cars, turning others into human pinatas on an everyday, average street corner. baggy-jeaned wannabe's trying to be gangsta it completely gives the sport and hobby a bad wrap. The signs are definitely there that a registry is coming if not a possible outright ban on importation because somebody, somewhere thinks it's a good idea. In the end this does nothing to curb the real problem as smugglers of real, illegally obtained firearms using homing pigeons to communicate off the grid could literally be your neighbour.

Long live Airsoft and I pray there is a solution for us all to continue enjoying and sharing this sport and hobby.

joshua3302 July 12th, 2019 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matula (Post 2068307)

Another government money grab buy a yearly permit for $100

Styrak July 14th, 2019 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by That_Limey_Brit (Post 2068322)
Eh, not quite. See my post above. But essentially yes- we have a membership number that links us to our Photo ID, address and local Airsoft field. Meaning only that owner of that number can buy guns for themselves.

It's a decent way to stop the average Joe committing an accidental crime (like a 15 y/o playing with their mates in a public park) which saves local law enforcement from arresting/shooting kids or adults with no common sense.

Does it make violent gun crime better? Hmm, I doubt it. But the UK is very tricky to get any real firearm anyway so it's hard to say if our solution will work for Canada/BC.

I don't see what prevents 1 person from buying all their friends RIF guns.

That_Limey_Brit July 15th, 2019 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styrak (Post 2068543)
I don't see what prevents 1 person from buying all their friends RIF guns.

There isn't. *Shrugs*
Other than the fact that if caught selling to minors or unregistered players you're charged with willfully supplying a restricted firearm. Especially if that weapon is used in a violent crime and it links back to you.

Go to jail. Do not collect 200$ as you pass GO.

We're a sport about honor and trust.
If people can't obey the rules put in place to protect the sport then they probably won't make a good name for themselves as players.

:EDIT: It is not a perfect system. But it's certainly quite good at what it's designed to do. Mostly stopping kids waving them around at school.

Spengler July 15th, 2019 12:26

Okay, wait, so is anything being done in terms of new laws or anything, or is that letter just some kind of "think of the children and/or vote for me" dickwaving?