Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Airsoft Guns Discussion (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   PTW's still top of the pile? (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=216956)

attack-beaver March 13th, 2019 20:07

PTW's still top of the pile?

Ok, so I've been recently thinking of saying enough with airsoft as I've played maybe 2-3 games over five years and the milsim scene is effectively dead in my area. But after going over the classifieds, i see some PTW for sale with a lot of bumps in the price range i was thinking of trying to sell mine.

Is technology/performance in airsoft at a point that a $1000+ PTW isn't worth it like it was between '08 and '14 (when i was most active) because if i am going to take a total bath on trying to sell it, I'll shadow box it and hang in my home office for the memories.

hinoobies March 14th, 2019 02:37

They're no longer the top dog out there anymore

IkarosCORE March 14th, 2019 11:28

We've hit a point now where technology has caught up to PTWs for a fraction of the price, mainly the introduction of MOSFETs, which allow for similar, if not better trigger response and reliability to a PTW.

Where PTWs still reign supreme are things like externals and the cylinder system. Not a lot of AEGs (if any) are RS specced, and the extent of the cylinder system is still quick change springs (which, in all honesty, is fine.)

pestobanana March 14th, 2019 13:06

If you want a real spec receiver, and stop on empty, PTW is your best bet. Their receivers are not much better made than AEG ones though. In terms of performance, PTW stuff hasn't changed a whole lot and AEGs have improved, a lot. A full upgraded AEG will outperform a PTW.

attack-beaver March 14th, 2019 16:01

So basically I'm reading, if I try to sell it I'm going to take a massive loss and I missed the boat.

Tankdude March 15th, 2019 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by attack-beaver (Post 2063122)
So basically I'm reading, if I try to sell it I'm going to take a massive loss and I missed the boat.

I just sold one for 750 a year ago, I had a real IUR upper on it. They do sell, but you are not going to sell it for 1500-2500 dollars.

If you need the money, keep dropping the price until it goes. There are a few PTWs in the for sale section that have been there for months at really high prices.

Airsoft is not an investment portfolio.

Wrath144 March 15th, 2019 08:30

The only thing I miss about my ptw is the slim grip.

Warderp March 15th, 2019 12:43

If you are going to sell anything in airsoft be prepared to take a massive loss

hollywood... March 15th, 2019 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warderp (Post 2063145)

I've sold lots of gear and guns and never taken a "massive" loss

attack-beaver March 15th, 2019 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tankdude (Post 2063139)
Airsoft is not an investment portfolio.

that much I've always known its like cars really. but selling for less then a grand is really beyond reasonable loss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warderp (Post 2063145)

Luckily like said before, I've never taken a huge loss, i normally break even or sell for what i view as a reasonable loss.

Swattiger June 17th, 2019 20:34

I do not have much spare money these days for the NEW AEGs, and I am not a airsoft "handyman", won't do much upgrade or change any real steel parts.

I am still using my Systema PTW, all stock internals and externals, even the battery is the old Sanyo battery specifically made for PTW.

No trouble, still working great, great trigger response. Able to hit far and straight. Externally, I found everything is much more solid than other airsoft gun except Real Swords.

This Systema PTW serves me well, gives me a lot of fun in games.

Ratters June 17th, 2019 20:44

ptdubs

what about this thing?

GBLS DAS Dynamic Action System GDR15 Blowback Airsoft AEG Training Rifle

Tristancast June 17th, 2019 20:58

I find this video very detailed

https://youtu.be/1gS4aqF0yc0

damage June 18th, 2019 14:40

PTW Fan boy since 2010. Never run into issues since I can tech them now up to the motor core. In fact convinced my whole team to run Ptw's only. Anyone from Vancouver BC who plays at Panther are welcome to check out my masterpieces. :)

ThunderCactus June 21st, 2019 23:16

They're the easiest to maintain, that's for sure.