Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Canadian Airsoft News Stand (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   SYSTEMA Releases 2012 PTW Details (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=137531)

wildcard March 14th, 2012 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMorbius (Post 1621773)
Mine's a gen 3 I believe, and (at best) you lose semi auto when it's wet.

yeah had one of those, it went dead after 1 game where it was really foggy and lots of moisture in the air, I think that was the gen that made me swore off PTW all together but recently they pull me back in starting with the CQBR, TW5, 2012 M16A3 and soon another 2012 M4

MrEvolution March 14th, 2012 17:38

Ohh the PTW...
Once at flag raiders was very rainy. Dude didnt have a barrel condom on his gun, and the mag was in.
Sitting around eating the rot dogs, and the guys PTW decides to start shooting on its own. Brit ter had just moved out of the way too. Supremely lucky. (he woulda been shot in the nuts on full auto from 2 inches away)

Karma_ March 14th, 2012 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcard (Post 1621775)
yeah had one of those, it went dead after 1 game where it was really foggy and lots of moisture in the air, I think that was the gen that made me swore off PTW all together but recently they pull me back in starting with the CQBR, TW5, 2012 M16A3 and soon another 2012 M4

:)

Ricochet March 15th, 2012 16:10

It's sad they don't have a few more variations of the PTW. I like the M16, but it's not my favorite gun. However, the M series rifles are so easy to modify and accessorize you can almost make it look like anything you want. There is a 416 kit available for PTWs now as well. Not to mention PTWs can use almost any real steel accessory, optic, or furniture.

But I've used mine in the rain and snow. I guess my advice, is to disconnect your battery immediately if you think water got inside. Use a can of air duster (computer cleaner) to blow out your boards and optics, then let her sit stripped apart in a dry place fir awhile.

I once played in a torrential downpour, and heavy fog all day. I then put it back in my gun case wet. The foam in the case was already moist. It sat there like that for a week. The optic board failed a month or so later. Also don't use heat to dry your gun out. They really are the best, but not invincible. A minor amount of care is required.

lt_poncho March 16th, 2012 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEvolution (Post 1622088)
Ohh the PTW...
Once at flag raiders was very rainy. Dude didnt have a barrel condom on his gun, and the mag was in.
Sitting around eating the rot dogs, and the guys PTW decides to start shooting on its own. Brit ter had just moved out of the way too. Supremely lucky. (he woulda been shot in the nuts on full auto from 2 inches away)

Operator Issue.

Who does this 'Dude' happen to be exactly? Just making a note to self about not attending games with said 'Dude' present. You'd be helping quite a few here with their personal notes to self i'm sure.

Was Joe absent that day? He usually hammers such carelessness. I wouldn't blame the gun.

MrEvolution March 18th, 2012 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt_poncho (Post 1622937)
Operator Issue.

Who does this 'Dude' happen to be exactly? Just making a note to self about not attending games with said 'Dude' present. You'd be helping quite a few here with their personal notes to self i'm sure.

Was Joe absent that day? He usually hammers such carelessness. I wouldn't blame the gun.

Oh Joe ran over quite fast and tore a strip off the guy.
Unfortunately I dont know who the guy was, but he was asian (Yeah Im sure that helps a lot :D)

teccy April 17th, 2012 17:04

Quote:

Ohh the PTW...

I remember this! I was one table over at the time. It was like something out of Rogue Trooper. autonomous guns for all!

ShelledPants April 17th, 2012 19:02

Quote:

Ohh the PTW...

I've seen a similar issue with a team mates PTW. At FlagRaiders. Only there wasn't a mag in the gun, and it was sitting on the table poised at his own crotch... PTW's are cock magnets.

infernal April 18th, 2012 02:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelledPants (Post 1640167)
I've seen a similar issue with a team mates PTW. At FlagRaiders. Only there wasn't a mag in the gun, and it was sitting on the table poised at his own crotch... PTW's are cock magnets.

That and teeth removers.

ThunderCactus April 18th, 2012 13:10

I got this electrical waterproofing spray at work (electra-coat by lubemaster), the liquid sets up into a scotch tape like plastic film, works great for waterproofing battery terminals, boards, and the like.
I'm considering spraying my boards with this stuff, then cutting it away between the optical contacts.
We had a hoist control remote fall into a hot rinse tank at work, took it apart, blew it out, worked. Sprayed the inside with that plastic film, they got it wet twice since and it hasn't stopped working.
I'd say it's probably the best bet for waterproofing PTWs

Colin_S April 18th, 2012 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderCactus (Post 1640613)
I got this electrical waterproofing spray at work (electra-coat by lubemaster), the liquid sets up into a scotch tape like plastic film, works great for waterproofing battery terminals, boards, and the like.
I'm considering spraying my boards with this stuff, then cutting it away between the optical contacts.
We had a hoist control remote fall into a hot rinse tank at work, took it apart, blew it out, worked. Sprayed the inside with that plastic film, they got it wet twice since and it hasn't stopped working.
I'd say it's probably the best bet for waterproofing PTWs

I've done that on my two PTWs. :) The first one has so far survived 3 years of all weather play and I've played in some very wet games during that time. Even before I sprayed my boards I played some really wet games and never had any problems but I figure it wouldn't hurt to protect my boards.

Oh as for the PTW that went off, there's a bit more back story to it... I know the gun and game in question, the owner earlier in the week had severed the wires that run into the buffer tube and just taped them back together. Don't know if that along with the rain lead to a short but it's possible.

FreelancerInc April 18th, 2012 14:31

Frenchy if u do that to ur gun send lindsey the how to if it doesn't wreck ur boards lol

m102404 April 18th, 2012 14:39

I got a can of the spray on electrical tape (similar to marine electronics spray) from Colin. It's worked great for years on more than a few PTW's. Last time I used it was in a knee deep swamp and everything was damp/soaked (obviously the gun didn't go underwater...but there wasn't much care taken otherwise).

Very light coats is the way to go...let dry between. If it goes on too thick it risks jamming/gumming up microswitches. I just replaced the side board on a buddy's PTW because it was put on too thick. It's fixable...but you've got to pick it all out and that's pretty fiddly.

Another potential downside is that if you apply too much (IIRC the can says to apply 2-3 applications) the front board will be very hard to put into the trigger/mech unit...and very, very, very hard to pull out. You can clean it off the very edges so there's no dimension issues...learned that the hard way.

I just used a bit of painters tape over the optical contacts when I spray them.

ThunderCactus April 19th, 2012 10:05

Yep, that was my plan! :)
This stuff goes on pretty thin with just one coat, very much like scotch tape with one coat.
It's specifically designed for spraying electronic components, so I'm pretty damn confident it won't toast anything. Only takes an hour to fully dry all the way through.
I gotta take my gun apart to paint it anyway, might as well water proof it while it's convenient lol

ViR April 19th, 2012 10:32

So when is it actually coming to out/ arriving in Canada?