Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   Doctor's Corner (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Screw Extraction (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=179097)

BobbyDangerous July 18th, 2016 21:22

Screw Extraction

Hi ASC,

I have an issue. I have a G&G Sig 553 and one of the screws that hold on the selector switch will not loosen. I have a nice set of Allan keys and everything and the screw is just stuck and is starting to strip. I tried hearing it up with my soldering iron to see if it would help loosen the loctite. But nothing. The only thing I can think of is if there is a small screw extractor. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanx

666 July 18th, 2016 21:58

Check out CT for screw extractor set or worst case scenario you would have to drill it out, retap and use another screw. Had a couple of those airsoft screws that gave up on me. Ended up drilling every single one of them out at the end.

BobbyDangerous July 18th, 2016 22:06

Watched a video where a guy uses JB Weld and glues an Allan key right to the screw. Might try that.

This is a really small screw, can you get a tap that small?

RainyEyes July 18th, 2016 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyDangerous (Post 1985116)
Hi ASC,

I have an issue. I have a G&G Sig 553 and one of the screws that hold on the selector switch will not loosen. I have a nice set of Allan keys and everything and the screw is just stuck and is starting to strip. I tried hearing it up with my soldering iron to see if it would help loosen the loctite. But nothing. The only thing I can think of is if there is a small screw extractor. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanx

If it's one of those retarded allen screws that go straight into the selector switch your best luck is to use a a ball-end allen key that is slightly larger. By slightly larger i'm not saying the next metric size but the next imperial since it's stripped it might do some good to use the next largest size available and press hard to try to get it out.

Chances are you were using the wrong unit of measurement either metric or imperial and fucked up the screw. If there is even a LITTLE play with your allen key, STOP, and pull it out. Pull it straight out because the mongaloids who made these screws decided to make them out of fucking play-doh which may as well have been dog shit since they strip super easily even from just trying to take out your allen key.

Patrick.Bisson July 19th, 2016 08:48

Put a rubber band between the allen key and screw before you try an extractor. Usually works.

Styrak July 19th, 2016 22:06

Use a torx bit. That's my usually my first attempt of getting a stuck/stripped allen screw loose.

Zeroroaster July 20th, 2016 14:52

I second the motion on the Torx bit...been doing it for years.

localfreerider July 20th, 2016 18:32

Torx FTW!!! selecting the right size and using downward force when unscrewing is key! Also you can hammer the torx bit into the stripped screw for more "bite"

BobbyDangerous July 21st, 2016 16:48

Nah, tried the torx bit. Nothing

Danke July 21st, 2016 21:35

Pictures?

ShelledPants July 21st, 2016 21:37

Dremel a slot into it and use a flat head.

BobbyDangerous July 29th, 2016 08:46

update.

i used my paladin heat gun at full heat and it melted the loctite.