Airsoft Canada

Airsoft Canada (https://airsoftcanada.com/forums.php)
-   AEG Solutions (https://airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Magpul MIAD pistol grip (https://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=47961)

MadMorbius November 22nd, 2007 08:33

Magpul MIAD pistol grip

I have read in several places that modifications are required to make these fit properly, and indeed, the one I purchased doesn't mate fully.

Although I've read frequently that modifications are required, I have yet to see any description of the modifications required. Could someone please assist me with this?

The symptom is, simply, that the pistol grip does not seem to cover the entire mechbox assembly. Someone said something about the bushing interfering.

No bullshit replies, please. If you know how to fix this or where the information lies, please let me know.

Jugglez November 22nd, 2007 08:49

It's going to vary a bit from one gearbox/body combo to another, generally you want to shave the inside of the grip, near the top. There's a track on each side of the grip that slide into grooves on each side of the gearbox. You want to shave those tracks down a bit.

MadMorbius November 22nd, 2007 09:41

you mean shave them down at the TOP or the overall thickness? The grip slides on ok, but it seems to stop well before the end of the tracks in the mechbox.

Renegade) November 22nd, 2007 09:53

What kind of gun are you installing it on Morb? I had a problem with my Miad grip with my TM SR.. It appeared to go all the way on and straight, but no matter what I shaved off, that track, a little off the top, ect, I had motor allignment problems..

MadMorbius November 22nd, 2007 10:16

It's going on a Hurricane Shrike :)

Jackals November 22nd, 2007 10:53

I got mine to fit on after shaving down the area inside the grip right where the bushings are. After I did that it worked fine.

leblanc74 November 22nd, 2007 18:15

will it fit a PTW?....I placed one into my hand this morning and it felt very good and ergonomics was excellent for me...but on the top there is one little hole for a bolt to go throught, do you trim off all the area?...

Mantelope November 22nd, 2007 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by leblanc74 (Post 579752)
will it fit a PTW?....I placed one into my hand this morning and it felt very good and ergonomics was excellent for me...but on the top there is one little hole for a bolt to go throught, do you trim off all the area?...

Only the real Tango Down one will, and only after many times as much dremelling as regular AS grips on regular AEGs require. However, it HAS been done, so it's not entirely impossible.

Omi-san November 22nd, 2007 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackals (Post 579455)
I got mine to fit on after shaving down the area inside the grip right where the bushings are. After I did that it worked fine.

+1

Installed on a TM M4A1 with Systema gearbox shell.

MadMorbius November 22nd, 2007 19:18

FIXED. I'd appreciate it if a mod could change the title from "assistance required" to "FIXED" and/or move it to the solutions section.

Thanks to those who came to the rescue. Essentially, the issue is the insides of the pistol grip butting up against the bushing that just protrudes beneath the lower receiver (if your mechbox is so equipped).

The solutions is to dremel out grooves on both sides of the pistol grip, on the inside, about a quarter inch wide by an eighth of an inch deep so that the top of the grip will fit over the bushing and not interfere with it.

Slide the pistol grip on as far as it will go, and mark the section where the bushing comes into contact with the pistol grip using chalk. Remove the grip, dremel out the channels and the grip will go on no problem.

The channels don't need to go any farther down than the groove in the pistol grip.

Pictures coming later.

Thanks again guys!

Mantelope November 22nd, 2007 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantelope (Post 579761)
Only the real Tango Down one will, and only after many times as much dremelling as regular AS grips on regular AEGs require. However, it HAS been done, so it's not entirely impossible.

I'm on crack (or American turkey and beer) and I thought this thread was about the Tango Down battle grip. Whoops!

leblanc74 December 1st, 2007 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mantelope (Post 579827)
I'm on crack (or American turkey and beer) and I thought this thread was about the Tango Down battle grip. Whoops!

No worries, I got one being custom made from a person in the US...Cannot wait to have my tangodown battle grip...

dodger_me December 1st, 2007 15:34

So does the airsoft version come with all the different customization parts like the real one?

eel one December 1st, 2007 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodger_me (Post 585725)
So does the airsoft version come with all the different customization parts like the real one?

To make it short: No

dodger_me December 1st, 2007 17:32

does it come with any? or is it just like the picture on airsoftparts.ca