Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Brit moving to Cobourg,ON

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 1st, 2009, 16:12   #1
bron
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Brit moving to Cobourg,ON

Hi all,

I'm moving over to Canada in January to Cobourg, and I'm looking to return to the game when I get over there! Along with buying thermals of course!

Where is the best place to get started in the Northumberland area, any stores nearby?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 17:09   #2
CND_SNIPER
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cobourg
I live near cobourg too..i have not found any good stores in northumberland.
CND_SNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 17:09   #3
Danneichh
Danneichh
 
Danneichh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Shelburne, Ontario, Canada
Hey there, unfortunately, airsoft in Canada is in a rather difficult position at the moment. We do have a thriving airsoft community, with hundreds of players, however, we don't really have any real Airsoft stores here. There are a few stores that do sell AEG's, however they're semi clear "cansoft" AEGs. You can pretty much find anything on this site, once you arrive and get age verified (meeting a certified member of this site, and having him verify that your over 18). However, prices here are a bit steep. I semi-recently bought a Classic Army G36, which normally goes for around $230 U.S.D., for just over $500 Cdn. So, the quality weapons are here, but they tend to cost 1-200% more than their U.S. counterparts. That being said, I think you'll enjoy the community here, I know i've found everyone to be very open and welcoming.
Danneichh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 18:20   #4
KoolAidMan
 
KoolAidMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto,Ontario
also don't listen to CND_SNIPER.

he's 13 and has no clue about anything here in canada
__________________
OOOOHHHH YEAAAHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
lol why is it that every single fucking underaged kid that comes thru here happens to have some private land to play on when accused of playing in public
KoolAidMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 18:39   #5
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"
 
pusangani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scarbrah, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAidMan View Post
also don't listen to CND_SNIPER.

he's 13 and has no clue about anything here in canada
+1 , also read up on all the FAQ's to get caught up on the current airsoft situation here in Canuckland
__________________
pusangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 19:19   #6
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Airsoft in Canada exists, and truth be told if you're 18 years old or older, it's fairly easy to get into. However, there are a couple of truths you need to accept:

1) Airsoft in Canada is expensive. LIke Danneichh said, airsoft guns in Canada go for, on average 150%-250% more than the normal listed prices from overseas retailers. This is due to our customs and importation laws. You CANNOT puchase an airsoft gun from outside of Canada. It will get siezed at the border as a "prohibited item". This means you have to buy them from retailers here in Canada... and unfortunetly (for various reasons) we pay a premium for that.

Having said that, with patience and money, you can still get almost any airsoft gun you want. If its something rare though be prepared to pay 400% of what it's actually worth.

2) Be willing to travel to games. Airsoft isn't that popular in Canada. It's not uncommon for people to travel 2 hours or more to go to an airsoft game. You'll have to get in touch with players from the Coberg area to see if there are any fields near there.. maybe there's one closer to you.

3) 90% of games in Canada are limited to 18+ years of age for players. Generally there are very few exceptions.

4) The results of the above have created a (comparatively) small, close-knit community in Canada. You'll find a lot of people know eachother. This is great if you're one of those people that loves going out and having a good time.. you'll meet a lot of friends you see over and over at different events. This is also great because smacktards very quickly get known in the community and don't end up with a place to play.
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."

Last edited by kalnaren; December 1st, 2009 at 19:21..
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 19:19   #7
aZn_triXta07
 
aZn_triXta07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
You guys do realize that in the UK if you aren't part of the UKARA the only airsoft you can get is bright fluroescent two toned airsoft :P

They also pay in a much higher currency than we do so I think the OP here may not see much of a price difference.

I've also had orders brought in from the UK and let's just say there was a whole lot of premium to pay
__________________
aZn_triXta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 19:24   #8
Forever_kaos
 
Forever_kaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mississauga.
Yeah our Airsoft laws are a bit more screwed up then UK laws I think.
UK is a bit easier, but still.

Basically we have an Age Verification system in place here.
You meet up with a representative, show him your ID proving you are 18+
He puts it in the system, then a mod will update you as Age Verified
(As you can see, most of us here have "Age verified" under our pictures or user names)

Once you are Age Verified, you can access the guns for sale on this website.
Full black, metal/plastic whatever, there is no legal restrictions in the Classifieds on this website.

Just do not buy outside of Canada and you're good to go

Best of luck
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:03   #9
bron
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Thanks for the helpful comments. I'd already read around the FAQs and age verification process. Seems very organised and is a credit to everyone involved.

As said above, I'm used to the UKARA way, as I played just before it came in and during the fight with the goverment.

With regards to pricing, the UK is one of the most expensive places to be into games like this and (dare I say it?) paintball. For example, from a local (ie. within the UK) store, you will pay 360 for a TM AK74, which roughly comes to 630CAD. So don't even talk to me about pricing

I'm 28, so age isn't a big deal either.

kalnaren, interesting you mention the social aspect of the game. I'm hoping the hobby will introduce me to some good friends in my early life in Canada

None of you have mentioned how bloody cold it is though!
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:13   #10
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw
 
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Its actually not as bad as its being made out to be on the international level. Hell we haven't even had snow (a major snowfall at least) in Southern Ontario yet.

And $630 for a TM AK is a bit more than we pay actually. I never really looked into what pricing is for other countries personally, and its rather surprising. Over here you would be looking at around $500 give or take for a TM AK, probably used with upgrades, extra mags, quality batteries etc...

Once you arrive here and start heading out to games you will find very quickly that as long as you show the proper kind of attitude (which judging from your posts will prove to be no obstacle) you will be welcomed in the community with open arms.

Just a couple more tidbits of information to help make your transition to this country easier for you:

Poutine, its not just a food its a way of life.
Try to avoid Toronto whenever possible.
Don't vote Liberal or NDP.
Watch the entire series of Trailer Park Boys.
And last but not least, keep your stick on the ice!
__________________
My trust is in whiskey, in weed and in Slayer, its GODDAMN ELECTRIC - Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:22   #11
bron
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw View Post
Its actually not as bad as its being made out to be on the international level. Hell we haven't even had snow (a major snowfall at least) in Southern Ontario yet.

And $630 for a TM AK is a bit more than we pay actually. I never really looked into what pricing is for other countries personally, and its rather surprising. Over here you would be looking at around $500 give or take for a TM AK, probably used with upgrades, extra mags, quality batteries etc...

Once you arrive here and start heading out to games you will find very quickly that as long as you show the proper kind of attitude (which judging from your posts will prove to be no obstacle) you will be welcomed in the community with open arms.

Just a couple more tidbits of information to help make your transition to this country easier for you:

Poutine, its not just a food its a way of life.
Try to avoid Toronto whenever possible.
Don't vote Liberal or NDP.
Watch the entire series of Trailer Park Boys.
And last but not least, keep your stick on the ice!
Yeah, the UK ends up being screwed on many things compared to you guys, although you do seem to be catching up on grocery prices. I'll be looking to get AV'ed ASAP. Can someone meet me at international arrivals on the 5th of Jan at YYZ?

Well, I've visited many times (my wife is a local). So I know about most of the requirements
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 14:34   #12
L473ncy
 
L473ncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 11-30-24-1W5
One thing that no one has mentioned is the TIME it takes to get AV'ed.

There are so many snags that can happen but at minimum you should get it in one day (if the admin updates right after your guy submits the into) and at most 2-3 weeks after submission. If you haven't gotten the tag under your name by then it may be due to the AV guy messing up and spelling your name wrong or something like that and the admin can't find it to update the status.

HOWEVER you're one of the lucky guys since you have a pretty high concentration of AV reps (so lots to choose from if some are busy or something like that), whereas areas like Vancouver a lot of the guys have just disappeared or are inactive.

Good luck.

Also where in Britain are you from? I'm actually thinking about going on an international exchange next year to Canterbury to study.
__________________
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
READY TO >> RACE
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 14:44   #13
youngguns
 
youngguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ajax Ontario
I registered in June and just got AV'd a few weeks ago.... They need a better system or need to make more AV'ers.
__________________
Canadian Airsoft Medic Corps


"LOCATION FIRST RESPONSE TEAM"
youngguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 15:36   #14
KoolAidMan
 
KoolAidMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto,Ontario
I met with somone and had my status updated in less then a week .

Thats not unreasonable
__________________
OOOOHHHH YEAAAHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusangani View Post
lol why is it that every single fucking underaged kid that comes thru here happens to have some private land to play on when accused of playing in public
KoolAidMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 15:49   #15
aZn_triXta07
 
aZn_triXta07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
When you come here I'm sure there are a couple of age verifiers in the area near you.

But if you ever decide to visit Toronto there are a number of them here.

http://torontoairsoft.com is one the age-verifiers

The 'legal' guns we sell here are cheaper than regular 'black' airsoft markers.

Once you are age-verified you'll gain access to all those who sell the fun 'black' stuff no we don't have any flourescent coloured guns :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron View Post
Thanks for the helpful comments. I'd already read around the FAQs and age verification process. Seems very organised and is a credit to everyone involved.

As said above, I'm used to the UKARA way, as I played just before it came in and during the fight with the goverment.

With regards to pricing, the UK is one of the most expensive places to be into games like this and (dare I say it?) paintball. For example, from a local (ie. within the UK) store, you will pay 360 for a TM AK74, which roughly comes to 630CAD. So don't even talk to me about pricing

I'm 28, so age isn't a big deal either.

kalnaren, interesting you mention the social aspect of the game. I'm hoping the hobby will introduce me to some good friends in my early life in Canada

None of you have mentioned how bloody cold it is though!
__________________
aZn_triXta07 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.