Airsoft Canada
007 Licence to Shoot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

We play airsoft because we can't afford paintball?

:

General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 16th, 2009, 04:22   #136
S.Fisher
 
S.Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDow123 View Post
I got a question for you? Have you ever told that to someone who "looked" like they were under 18 but they actually weren't? I must say, I look pretty young for my age (I don't look 12 mind you) but if some guy misjudged my age and told me "get out, no kids allowed" I would be incredibly offended.

But as far as the topic at hand goes, I think that there are very competent minors out there that are mature enough to play with the big boys, but because of the age restrictions on airsoft they are forced to go to paintball and learn very different techniques/skills/attitudes than we would like them to have in airsoft.
I believe a training course or something for minors would be a good idea, and I gotta say I don't like the idea of airsoft "elitists" snuffing out these minors that CAN play responsibly but because of their age are completely restricted.
A valid point was raised in this thread, like being under 18 you are not held accountable for your actions but once you turn 18 you are fully accountable for all your actions. I like the idea of a certificate or training day for minors to show to us that they have the right attitude and skillset to play with adults.
What about those adults who shouldn't play. If they have to do it, thus do we. I actually enjoy playing with adults over minors tbh
__________________
S.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 14:20   #137
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"
 
pusangani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scarbrah, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDow123 View Post
I got a question for you? Have you ever told that to someone who "looked" like they were under 18 but they actually weren't? I must say, I look pretty young for my age (I don't look 12 mind you) but if some guy misjudged my age and told me "get out, no kids allowed" I would be incredibly offended.
If that's all it takes for you to be incredibly offended, then a sport where people shoot projectiles at you in simulated combat might not be a good fit for you.

I'm in my later 20's and I still get carded almost everytime I buy smokes or booze, I don't cry, I take out my ID like an adult and show it to them, that's maturity.
__________________
pusangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 17:58   #138
MoreToasties
Art affectionado
 
MoreToasties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North York, Ontario
To clear shit up for the whole "mature enough to play" argument:

The 18+ rule is not based on maturity. It is based on liability.

When places say 16+ with parental permission, why do you think they ask for a signed waiver?

Does a signature from a parent that prove the kid is mature?

No. It says that the airsoft field wont get sued because the minor didn't have the mental capacity to understand the possibility of injury while engaging in the sport.

If you are 18, you are responsible for your own actions.

If you are younger then 18, someone else might have to.

Airsoft fields and players do not want that responsibility, so we have the 18+ rule.
__________________
God is a /b/tard.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 19:26   #139
S.Fisher
 
S.Fisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreToasties View Post
To clear shit up for the whole "mature enough to play" argument:

The 18+ rule is not based on maturity. It is based on liability.

When places say 16+ with parental permission, why do you think they ask for a signed waiver?

Does a signature from a parent that prove the kid is mature?

No. It says that the airsoft field wont get sued because the minor didn't have the mental capacity to understand the possibility of injury while engaging in the sport.

If you are 18, you are responsible for your own actions.

If you are younger then 18, someone else might have to.
Still contradictory to said rule and legal binding agreement. You can have a parent sign the waver. Period.

Saying its for legality reasons is the biggest scape goat I have ever heard. Air Soft is so restricted and strictly regulated in the sense that you can only get in on games here on ASC, and we aren't really supposed to have what we have. Air soft is not regulated by the government such as Liquor. The strict enforcement of 18+ is the failsafe of preventing idiots from playing and preventing the sport from getting banned. Still it doesn't stop mindless idiots who carry there gear around in public *cough* older news *cough*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreToasties View Post
Airsoft fields and players do not want that responsibility, so we have the 18+ rule.
Actually yeah thats pretty much what it boils down too, I don't understand this whole smoke and mirrors thing
__________________
S.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 00:50   #140
MrDow123
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Send a message via MSN to MrDow123
Quote:
If that's all it takes for you to be incredibly offended, then a sport where people shoot projectiles at you in simulated combat might not be a good fit for you.
Trust me, if someone asked me kindly if I would please show my ID, I defenitely would. If someone told me in a harsh tone "no kids allowed" I would be pretty pissed. As would most people that are legal adults. And I don't exactly see how being offended at someone for being rude to a potential customer for how they look would possibly impair my ability to play airsoft.
MrDow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 01:53   #141
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"
 
pusangani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scarbrah, Ontario
sounds like you need some thicker skin there buttercup

I wouldn't want some fool coming into my store and crying because my tone didn't suit them, even if they just emptied their bank account to go on a shopping spree, but that's just me, I'd probably charge them more just for the aggravation of dealing with their sorry ass.

the reason we have the sign is because we get alot of KIDS i.e. 12-14 year olds that come in to drool over the guns that they cannot have and I get tired of telling them to fuck off.
__________________
pusangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:03   #142
MrDow123
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Send a message via MSN to MrDow123
Look, this argument is going to get worse before it gets better, so I'm just gonna be the first to say it. We got off on the wrong foot, lets change that.

I don't really care how you treat your customers, and I do understand that dealing with annoying youngins must be a pain in the ass.

So how bout we stop the back and forth
MrDow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:05   #143
ujiro
 
ujiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Burlington, ON
Send a message via MSN to ujiro
Alright well. This whole 18+ only thing can be argued a million times over but when it comes down to it, here is how it goes.

If you are not 18, then airsoft is not for you. You should wait, and learn about the sport, come out and spectate. Get to know your community, get to understand stuff about guns and gear. Then when you are 18, you can buy it all for yourself!

Sure, it doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but we don't care.

Yes, sure, maybe some people less than 18 are mature enough to play, and not be an idiot about stuff. But again, too bad. Just because some kids under 19 can drink without being an idiot about it, or could vote because they actually follow politics and would be making a smart, informed choice, doesn't mean they can.
Because we are preventing the bulk of the ignorant, foolish youth from getting in on the sport.

Why should it be our job to "sift" through the large assortment of minors to see which ones can prove themselves to be mature enough to be able to play? We shouldn't. Just wait till your 18.
__________________
I love freedom and consequently America
ujiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:07   #144
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"
 
pusangani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scarbrah, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDow123 View Post
Look, this argument is going to get worse before it gets better, so I'm just gonna be the first to say it. We got off on the wrong foot, lets change that.

I don't really care how you treat your customers, and I do understand that dealing with annoying youngins must be a pain in the ass.

So how bout we stop the back and forth
agreed, the sign is/was not intended for people who look young for their age, it's intended to keep kids away
__________________
pusangani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:13   #145
Wilson
 
Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sudbury, ON
In essence, the only difference between paintball and airsoft is the paint. So what's the big deal?

It doesn't really matter though. No matter how much airsoft and paintball improve they will still be inferior to simunition.
__________________
IN OMNIA PARATUS
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:15   #146
Mr.Shiney
 
Mr.Shiney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London,Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Mr.Shiney
Again, some have missed the point, the 18+ rule is more out of a necessity of legalities. If you are not over the age of 18 you cannot:

1) Enter into a Contract
2) In some areas own an Airgun or Unregulated Unregistered Unrestricted
Firearm
3) Enter into signing away your rights in the form of a waiver
4) Be held completely responsible for your actions both in Criminal and Civil Courts
5) Consent to medical treatment and/or appoint a proxy or responsible person in case you are unable to consent.
__________________

6 Section, 2 Forward Observation Unit Airborne, Royal Artillery
Level 2 Certified BA Sniper
Sniper Instructor (Fieldcraft)
Mr.Shiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:58   #147
MoreToasties
Art affectionado
 
MoreToasties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North York, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Shiney View Post
Again, some have missed the point, the 18+ rule is more out of a necessity of legalities. If you are not over the age of 18 you cannot:

1) Enter into a Contract
2) In some areas own an Airgun or Unregulated Unregistered Unrestricted
Firearm
3) Enter into signing away your rights in the form of a waiver
4) Be held completely responsible for your actions both in Criminal and Civil Courts
5) Consent to medical treatment and/or appoint a proxy or responsible person in case you are unable to consent.
That is the bottom line.

Can this part of the discussion end now?
__________________
God is a /b/tard.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 11:52   #148
johnb32xq
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
my thought is just from looking at the prices of airsoft and paintball and reading up on shit

airsoft:
Get more ammo for ya buck ie:5000rd for like $15
The guns are light and cheap
very compact

Paintball:
Ammo u go to Wal-mart or Crappy Tire (canadian tire) u get like 2000rds in a box for like $20+
the guns are more expensive and mostly are light

and airsoft equipment is compact and easy to store in battle as in we have the small co2 cartridge's and mags are small

as in paintball u got this big old CO2 canister on ya gun and u have pods for the rounds and other shit
johnb32xq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 12:18   #149
MoreToasties
Art affectionado
 
MoreToasties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North York, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb32xq View Post
airsoft:
Get more ammo for ya buck ie:5000rd for like $15
The guns are light and cheap
very compact
Did you get your info from a Walmart flyer?

BBs are not that cheap, thats Walmart .12g.

The guns are not usually light and cheap, thats Walmart shit. Good guns can be very heavy (or light) and extremely expensive.

They are not necessarily compact. In fact I would argue that paintball markers are far more compact then airsoft.

Notice a pattern?
__________________
God is a /b/tard.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2009, 20:32   #150
$B
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Laval
Most of you guys never seen a milsim paintball game. Markers can look very realistic. I agree that airsoft guns are much more similar to the real thing but paintball is not bad at all. Personnally I'm a paintball marker and play milsim paintball, but I have an airsoft glock as a backup.

Visit this website www.milsimquebec.ca and you will see a large community of milsim paintball player that love the sport and don't want to transfer to airsoft for many reasons.

Paintball and airsoft don't have to be in competition all the time. Both sport have their advantages and their disadvantages.
$B is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
007 Licence to Shoot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.