Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Elitists -Newbies, please read

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 6th, 2013, 14:08   #226
Double Tapper
 
Double Tapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The land of the over regulated and the banners
Send a message via MSN to Double Tapper
Nice read Kalnaren,and thanks for the info I didn't know
about on the goggles post201.
__________________
Double Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 20:25   #227
PhillieM16
 
PhillieM16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ajax
I am a newbie, Read the OP word for word, and I will keep in mind everything you mentioned when I'm buying my first gun, and equipment.
PhillieM16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 04:46   #228
Immelmann
 
Immelmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Caledon/Waterloo
I don't know how you elitist pricks did it, but you've somehow made me one of you.


Forgive me in advance, as this may end up turning into a bit of a rant. But hey, maybe someone will see it and take some positive advice from a fellow noob.

I'm new (just waiting for the last of my kit to arrive), but all these cheap/lazy new guys you talk about confuse the hell out of me.

I like to think I've done pretty well. Of course there will still be plenty more to learn here and on the field, but I've got a good 8 months of homework under my belt, I've read every sticky (and god knows how many other threads), and I feel very confident in every piece of kit I selected. I basically wanted to make sure I did everything right the first time, and so I waited until I could afford to do that. I also definitely didn't want to be an under-equipped burden on the team.
That said, I simply can't comprehend why so many people are so prepared to ignore advice and cheap out. We've all tried things without the proper gear, and we all know that it's never as fun as it could be (or fun at all).

I get that some people are on a budget, but it seems obvious that between not being able to sell shit guns/gear and having to pay again to upgrade it will cost them more in the long run. If people had some patience and didn't insist on getting into games within a week of discovering the sport they'd have the time to do some research that would make this pretty clear (even though it should be anyway). Yes, that Ares G36 looks nice. Are you going to have a good time sourcing the proprietary parts for it when the shit internals go? No. Is it still going to be in the classifieds with all the other Ares G36s six months from now? Probably.
You wouldn't start skiing without gloves, racing without good tires, or airsofting without proper eyepro (HAHAHA, JUST KIDDING, APPARENTLY THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE IT SAYS ANTSY SO IT'S SAFE), so why get a vest with pouches that will fall apart when you try to squeeze your G36 mags into them? It's not elitism, or even the desire to not half-ass things. It's simple fucking logic.




Has the wait been killing me for the last 8 months (plus the time when I was underage)?
Yes.

Have I been able to think about anything other than airsoft at work because I know I'll be ready and able to play by the end of next week?
No.

Am I still happier knowing I've done my homework, and that I'll be able to enter the field properly equipped and ready to join the rest of the guys?
Ab-so-fuckin-lutely.
__________________
Callsign: Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhc View Post
i actually dont like COD. im more worried that airsoft will make me violent or messed in the head.
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 15:02   #229
trogdorthemad1
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Scarborough, On
i might be new to air soft but i completely agree with your argument of good equipment of cheap but personally i dont believe that the price tag determines the quality of an item
trogdorthemad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 15:41   #230
Strelok
 
Strelok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brandon Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdorthemad1 View Post
i might be new to air soft but i completely agree with your argument of good equipment of cheap but personally i dont believe that the price tag determines the quality of an item
With that said. A 80 dollar Aftermath Kraken AEG will be as good of quality as a 600 dollar Realsword T56?
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 15:51   #231
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
Well there is some merit to that statement
For example, a $650 propper multicam softshell jacket is actually no higher quality than one of $200, and the jacket was probably made in vietname for less than $40
Sometimes prices are grossly inflated so to only end up in the hands of elitists.

Like alfa romeos or ferraris lol

However in the case of airsoft guns and most gear, you get what you pay for.
And if you believe an $80 piece of clone gear is the same quality as a $300 piece of real steel gear, then you're just not experienced enough to know the difference lol
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 18:26   #232
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
And if you believe an $80 piece of clone gear is the same quality as a $300 piece of real steel gear, then you're just not experienced enough to know the difference lol
Just let them buy 2 or 3 times over replacing stuff. They will learn...eventually.

I don't claim to buy the best or always authentic. I'm actually happy with few things like my condor soft shell but, I don't go beating the hell out of it expecting more than what I paid for.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 19:02   #233
ccyg8774
 
ccyg8774's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sackville, NB
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdorthemad1 View Post
i might be new to air soft but i completely agree with your argument of good equipment of cheap but personally i dont believe that the price tag determines the quality of an item
Well, in the world of airsoft, in most cases, they do... It is not like the fashion market where people will just pay for a brand.
__________________
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 19:04   #234
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
I love going to games and hearing people say "omg your gun shoots so amazing! how do I get my gun to shoot like that??"
"You have a CYMA....it can't....sorry"

Also, systema would be the overpriced Ferrari's of airsoft
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 19:15   #235
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
Systema's would be more like the Tesla Roadster vs and over prices Ferrari.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 19:56   #236
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
Depends who you are. To some people they're alfa romeo's lol
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:19   #237
Immelmann
 
Immelmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Caledon/Waterloo
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdorthemad1 View Post
i might be new to air soft but i completely agree with your argument of good equipment of cheap but personally i dont believe that the price tag determines the quality of an item
Umm...
__________________
Callsign: Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhc View Post
i actually dont like COD. im more worried that airsoft will make me violent or messed in the head.
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:13   #238
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe
 
ThunderCactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary...now with less oil industry than eco-hipster Vancouver
For example, an FTW at $3000 isn't any better than a PTW at $2000
In fact, one could argue that the quality of the FTW is actually worse based on the evidence that's been found.

Generally, in airsoft and dealing with gear, more money means higher quality. But especially with certain brands of gear, sometimes you're paying mostly for the name rather than the quality.
Another example is blackhawk gear. Their PCU's are $460 for a set, but they're a weird cut and are very prone to abrasive wear, they're certainly not $380 superior to the $80 repro set. And to underline the fact I bought my blackhawk set on sale for $150 lol
And propper with their $600 multicam softshell, bought mine on supersale for $150 and they still made money on it. It's literally just one layer of treated nylon, probably doesn't cost them more than $40 to make it.
__________________
Tamiya connectors suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
i never understood why the oil refinery had a brothel... i never see them at the refineries i work at this is bull!

Last edited by ThunderCactus; July 26th, 2013 at 10:19..
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:21   #239
lurkingknight
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
With that said. A 80 dollar Aftermath Kraken AEG will be as good of quality as a 600 dollar Realsword T56?
no but apparently some people think they're worth that much second hand. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
For example, an FTW at $3000 isn't any better than a PTW at $2000
In fact, one could argue that the quality of the FTW is actually worse based on the evidence that's been found.

Generally, in airsoft and dealing with gear, more money means higher quality. But especially with certain brands of gear, sometimes you're paying mostly for the name rather than the quality.
Another example is blackhawk gear. Their PCU's are $460 for a set, but they're a weird cut and are very prone to abrasive wear, they're certainly not $380 superior to the $80 repro set. And to underline the fact I bought my blackhawk set on sale for $150 lol
And propper with their $600 multicam softshell, bought mine on supersale for $150 and they still made money on it. It's literally just one layer of treated nylon, probably doesn't cost them more than $40 to make it.
what this boils down to are the people who overhype this shit and the ones who eat it all up without spending the time to do their own research. Everyone wants it now and from a silver spoon. Take the time to learn about it, make educated decisions and you'll always come out on top. buying the most expensive gear or parts does not equal the best. Especially in airsoft.
__________________
I futz with V2s, V3s and V6s. I could be wrong... but probably, most likely not, as far as I know.

Last edited by lurkingknight; July 26th, 2013 at 11:24..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 16:52   #240
argyleb
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Toronto
I just started airsoft a few months ago, and man budget is a bit high for a college student like me. I do agree with OP with what he mentioned that good and decent equipment but budget is my main problem. In terms of guns, i'll start with a cheap $150-200 atm and work with it. I don't think I can spare anymore until I get a full time job
argyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 22:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.