Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Legal question

:

Newbie Tank

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:08   #16
lemegacool
 
lemegacool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: notre dame des prairies /quebec
it would not be classified as a firearm but rather as an airgun (non-restricted firearm)
__________________

member of fire team NOM. my other regular forum: www.toyotanation.com / gen3,gen4 camry
lemegacool is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:15   #17
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D
 
Brian McIlmoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
And what kind of BB's will they use? If they use .4's or something, it won't be above 407. And if they use light BB's, it might be above 500!
If it is capable of firing a projectile over 407 fps ( regardless of mass, but to my understanding they use standard .20 bbs to test with)
Then its not a replica.. it can still shoot over 500 as long as it dose not ALSO shoot over 5.7 joules of energy.. because then it is a regulated firearm

Select fire or model means nothing if it turn out to not be a replica and turns out to be an unregulated firearm.

I'm not talking out my butt here.. I know of cases directly in which seized items were released after testing by the RCMP proved they were not replicas.

so we can toss all the speculation.. and what ifs

Because it is fact.
__________________
Brian McIlmoyle
TTAC3 Director
CAPS Range Officer
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:16   #18
c3sk
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็
The CBSA are charged with protecting our borders from items which the Canadian government and CBSA officers themselves, feel are prohibited. The CBSA will do whatever they feel is necessary to ensure "replica firearms" do not enter the country.

Even if you attempt to dispute the velocity.. The item is still seen by most CBSA Officers as a replica firearm and will be reviewed as such.


Until they start viewing Airsoft M4's as not being a replica of an actual M4..

Ask yourself this:

If you were a CBSA Agent, would you let this stuff into Canada?
(I sure as hell wouldn't)

Last edited by c3sk; August 22nd, 2009 at 03:21..
c3sk is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:23   #19
mcguyver
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post
The CBSA are charged with protecting our borders from items which the Canadian government and CBSA officers themselves, feel are prohibited. The CBSA will do whatever they feel is necessary to ensure "replica firearms" do not enter the country.

Even if you attempt to dispute the velocity.. The item is still a replica firearm and will be reviewed as such.
Actually, the CBSA has very strict guidelines for determining what a replica is and what is not. They are very precise guidelines, and not open to alot of interpretation wiggle room.

Barrel length means nothing.
Mag capacity means nothing.
Select fire means nothing.

Check it out for yourself, it's posted on the CBSA website. Uncontrolled firearms are not to be subdivided into traditional controlled firearms classes of non-restricted, restricted or prohibited classifications. Velocity and energy are the only determining factors seperating controlled from uncontrolled firearms and replicas.

Brian is bang on.
__________________
Age verifier Northern Alberta

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:30   #20
c3sk
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Actually, the CBSA has very strict guidelines for determining what a replica is and what is not. They are very precise guidelines, and not open to alot of interpretation wiggle room.

Barrel length means nothing.
Mag capacity means nothing.
Select fire means nothing.

Check it out for yourself, it's posted on the CBSA website. Uncontrolled firearms are not to be subdivided into traditional controlled firearms classes of non-restricted, restricted or prohibited classifications. Velocity and energy are the only determining factors seperating controlled from uncontrolled firearms and replicas.

Brian is bang on.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing.
I'm simply saying from first hand experience with this approach...

They do not give a s***, heh.
c3sk is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:33   #21
mcguyver
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing.
I'm simply saying from first hand experience with this approach...

They do not give a s***, heh.
When they have posted, public guidelines and yet enforce what would amount to an improper seizure, it would not survive the first level appeal.

Ever wonder how certain guns seem to be getting into the country lately? Very few of them are coming by way of importers, as they meet the requirements the CBSA has laid out in D19-13-2.
__________________
Age verifier Northern Alberta

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:49   #22
c3sk
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
When they have posted, public guidelines and yet enforce what would amount to an improper seizure, it would not survive the first level appeal.

Ever wonder how certain guns seem to be getting into the country lately? Very few of them are coming by way of importers, as they meet the requirements the CBSA has laid out in D19-13-2.
And yet they still have the power to deny you entry back into Canada if you take this route.

Guess we should all place our orders now, without hesitation or fear of our appeals being thrown out then.
c3sk is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:46   #23
Doombringer
 
Doombringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Plateau, Montreal
Could you order an airsoft that does not look like a real model? For example those JG Thundermaul (or something like that), afaik, that ugly thing dosen't exist. Would it be confiscated? Or those movies-based handgun?
Doombringer is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:35   #24
kullwarrior
 
kullwarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
And what kind of BB's will they use? If they use .4's or something, it won't be above 407. And if they use light BB's, it might be above 500!
about five cases mentioned it was with .22g
__________________
kullwarrior is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:49   #25
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:05   #26
ShelledPants
 
ShelledPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, On
Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
about five cases mentioned it was with .22g
Heh, a stock WETTI AWSS on propane can shoot .3's at 590fps.
__________________


r skal rsa, s er annars vill
f ea fjr hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi lfur
lr um getur n sofandi maur sigur.
ShelledPants is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:15   #27
mcguyver
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3sk View Post
And yet they still have the power to deny you entry back into Canada if you take this route.

Guess we should all place our orders now, without hesitation or fear of our appeals being thrown out then.
Why would they deny you entry if you order online or by phone, etc.?

The CBSA can deny you entry if your lips don't match your passport photo. But we all know how that one is going to turn out (Cha-Ching).

Fear of facing a winnable appeal is keeping everyone "in line", but it's not necessary.

Just an FYI, this is a relatively new development, since June of this year. Go read D19-13-2.
__________________
Age verifier Northern Alberta

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 13:31   #28
c3sk
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ก็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Just an FYI, this is a relatively new development, since June of this year. Go read D19-13-2.
Well aware of the memo... have already delt with CBSA regarding it.

As Brian said, its been tested.
c3sk is offline  
Old August 22nd, 2009, 14:35   #29
Amos
 
Amos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tokushima, Japan
Send a message via MSN to Amos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
And what kind of BB's will they use? If they use .4's or something, it won't be above 407. And if they use light BB's, it might be above 500!
They test it with .22 BB's...

I have NO idea where they even get .22 BB's from.
__________________
Custom Builds:
FA3674U
Krinkov
G3SD6
Amos is offline  
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:29   #30
Sp0r3
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
Could you order an airsoft that does not look like a real model? For example those JG Thundermaul (or something like that), afaik, that ugly thing dosen't exist. Would it be confiscated? Or those movies-based handgun?
Yes, you can import an airsoft if it does not, in any way, resembles a real gun. So can have an airsoft version of the gun from Halo and it's okay because there are no real guns that look like that yet.
Sp0r3 is offline  
Closed ThreadTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
MILSIG

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 16:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.