Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Is it worth it?

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 23rd, 2009, 23:57   #1
Hunter Killer
 
Hunter Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa,Ont
Is it worth it?

I'm finally turning 18 in November and I have been around this site awaiting patiently for some time now till I can actually play. After doing some light reading regarding the state of the sport in Canada, it does not seem good and is not improving. Should I even bother getting into it at this point unless things improve?

I am looking at a 100% authentic Russian kit, I already have alot of personal equipment from my private collection of military memorabilia. I'm thinking 1200 is a reasonable entrance into the sport.
__________________
Military Memorabilia Collector and History Enthusiast
Hunter Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 00:29   #2
aznpos531
 
aznpos531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Heh...these types of questions always make me laugh a little. With no offense to the one who askes the question of course.
The only real answer to your question is whether you think it's worth it. The ones who are in the sport already obviously think it is indeed worth it. Airsoft in Canada is what it is and the decision to jump in or not is entirely up to you. If you don't think it's worth it, no one's holding a gun to your head...on the other hand if you do decide to join in on the sport, it's very likely you'll have a few guns pointed in your general direction
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
I could never stop going to WalMart. Its the only place I can get good airsoft guns.
aznpos531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 00:31   #3
ShelledPants
 
ShelledPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, On
In Nov, get age verified (free), buy a gun, mags, batt, bb's, mask and go to a game or two, if you like it, dump the money into gear. If you don't. Sell the stuff for minimal loss.
__________________


r skal rsa, s er annars vill
f ea fjr hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi lfur
lr um getur n sofandi maur sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 00:47   #4
georgehutchison
 
georgehutchison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Barrie Ont
I have seen a huge increase in new players in our Area. Last season to this season is a big change. We have around 20 regs at our field where last year we had about 8. ICS and G&G are making great Guns that are legal and readily available, this has helped our sport alot. lots of people with $350 gun budgets can get a decent gun and get out to games quickly. Our group tries to get out at least a couple times a week.
__________________
Barrie Area Age Verifier
Barrie Area Gun Doctor
georgehutchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:14   #5
L473ncy
 
L473ncy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 11-30-24-1W5
Hell yes! If you like playing "army man" and shooting BB guns at other adults.

If you were here from 06 you would have known about some of the older "conflicts" (for lack of a better word) right (SpecArms, PropScam, P. Kang etc.)? Well things have been improved. First we now have a newbie tank where before it was like the wild west and everyone was packing a "flamethrower", theres now the AV system to keep guns out of kids hands and tracking scammers, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I totally agree with everything that's changed but the site definitely has matured and with that the playerbase and community. I still think that new players who ask "the questions" ("Wat sn1per iz b3st", "how good iz dis gun", "where 2 get cheap gunz", etc...) need to pass a trial by fire to be accepted (hell I did it, I got flamed then looked around hard, shut my mouth and learnt) but yeah there has been large strides and you should definitely consider making this a neat hobby to participate in.

I also want to say, do you think that you'll become a hobbist or is this one of those, "I'll go out one weekend with some friends and shoot each other a bit" cause TBH paintball might be better if it's one of those "once in a while" or "bachelor party" things instead of an obsession because trust me it does become an obsession. I've pretty much spent all my "beer money" (money I find lying around and such) on airsoft (no beer for me but that's cool I can manage without drinking anyways and since I'm Asian I don't need much).
__________________
ಠ_ಠLess QQ more Pew Pew
READY TO >> RACE
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 01:25   #6
ntomec
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Hell yes! If you like playing "army man" and shooting BB guns at other adults.

If you were here from 06 you would have known about some of the older "conflicts" (for lack of a better word) right (SpecArms, PropScam, P. Kang etc.)? Well things have been improved. First we now have a newbie tank where before it was like the wild west and everyone was packing a "flamethrower", theres now the AV system to keep guns out of kids hands and tracking scammers, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I totally agree with everything that's changed but the site definitely has matured and with that the playerbase and community. I still think that new players who ask "the questions" ("Wat sn1per iz b3st", "how good iz dis gun", "where 2 get cheap gunz", etc...) need to pass a trial by fire to be accepted (hell I did it, I got flamed then looked around hard, shut my mouth and learnt) but yeah there has been large strides and you should definitely consider making this a neat hobby to participate in.

I also want to say, do you think that you'll become a hobbist or is this one of those, "I'll go out one weekend with some friends and shoot each other a bit" cause TBH paintball might be better if it's one of those "once in a while" or "bachelor party" things instead of an obsession because trust me it does become an obsession. I've pretty much spent all my "beer money" (money I find lying around and such) on airsoft (no beer for me but that's cool I can manage without drinking anyways and since I'm Asian I don't need much).

wtf no one said anything about choosing between booze and airsoft!!

haha just kidding :P
__________________
Underage and waiting...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Tex View Post
The BBs are propelled by tiny elves that throw the BBs out the barrel.
Hop-up is when the elves use a jump-shot to get more range.
Gas Blow-Backs are propelled by elf farts.
ntomec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:07   #7
Kuro_Neko
 
Kuro_Neko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
Since no one else has mentioned it, $1200 is quite a reasonable starting budget, especially if you already have portions of your kit. A good high quality gun is probably going to run you $600, and a decent sidearm, probably $250-300. That'll leave you about $300 for kit. Which is doable even if you didn't have anything already, though if that were the case it'd be getting alittle tight.

As to whether it's worth it or not. Asking that here doesn't really serve much point, we all wouldn't be here if we didn't think it was. But objectively things are improving, several of the serious manufacturers of airsoft guns have been releasing Canadian legal versions of their guns. I know my group has increased it's membership more in the last six months then it ever has before.
__________________
Kuro_Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:23   #8
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris
 
yuhaoyang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton west
Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
I don't think you can find many Russian or Soviet era pistols... But then again you can always buy a good quality AK from the classfields since they're more common.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius View Post
I'll bet Ronan was the one who sent that email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 04:16   #9
Con Murder
 
Con Murder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lethbridge Alberta Canada
Shooting at friends full auto and busting ass to cover. Enough to make me wanna game everyday.
Con Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 14:54   #10
Hunter Killer
 
Hunter Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa,Ont
So I see that air soft guns not do not have clear plastic bodies have finally been properly identified under Canadian law as a replica firearm. Although its good to have proper legal identification how difficult is it to obtain the proper documentation to have one of the high quality guns like the CA SLR105?
__________________
Military Memorabilia Collector and History Enthusiast
Hunter Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 14:56   #11
theguy
 
theguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON.
To obtain the licences to import them? Very hard.

That being said, many with those licences act as retailers here on the ASC. Pretty much any gun you want can be brought in by a retailer, if your willing to pay for it
__________________
Quote:
It's better to light a candle, than to curse the darkness

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 14:56   #12
yuhaoyang
asexual lumbricus terrestris
 
yuhaoyang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton west
Send a message via MSN to yuhaoyang
you don't need one... as long as you keep stored out of sight, and never bring it out in public... it's fine.
you'll need to be AVed to buy on here, or buy from your local forums, and the owners in question will ask for your ID (probably)
Other than that, there are no laws at all pertaining to ownership. (well, there's that grandfather clause thingy, you may as well check it up)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius View Post
I'll bet Ronan was the one who sent that email.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The chinese steal everything. Haven't seen an original idea come out of that country yet.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 14:58   #13
theguy
 
theguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON.
Ahh, sorry i thought he was asking about importation papers
__________________
Quote:
It's better to light a candle, than to curse the darkness

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 15:00   #14
MillerBRo
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
For the record there is no legal way to import and sell those replica guns and there is no license to allow people to sell them on ASC. Many retailers have been busted for doing so and a few have went to court over it.

Not that it changes anything, I still have my G3A3 and shotty and all, but lets stop the misinformation that the black plastic sold on ASC is 'legal' shall we lol.
MillerBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 15:05   #15
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
That being said, many with those licences act as retailers here on the ASC.
Nope. The majority of ASC retailers are small fry who wouldn't qualify for BFL. They're just middlemen.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.