Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Which Sniper rifle?Which Machine gun?

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 27th, 2009, 15:48   #46
Moderate
 
Moderate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under a Bridge
and googles instead of goggles lol
Moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 21:32   #47
darkstar7890
 
darkstar7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary
Send a message via MSN to darkstar7890
I guess I am learning airsoft terminology the hard way
darkstar7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 22:09   #48
bpbcc1
 
bpbcc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar7890 View Post
I guess I am learning airsoft terminology the hard way
It's not supposed to be hard.
bpbcc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 22:14   #49
Moderate
 
Moderate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under a Bridge
Should make a sticky thread about all airsoft terms, if there isn't one already.
Moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 22:21   #50
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatesniper View Post
From now on I'm going to start bitching at people for saying "don't" instead of "do not"...and "tomato" instead of "tomato" because I think I can hear them mispronouncing it through their keyboard. /sarcasm

As bpbcc1 says, it's just to save space.
What's wrong about pronouncing don't as "don't"?
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 23:35   #51
Moderate
 
Moderate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under a Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
What's wrong about pronouncing don't as "don't"?
It's not the full version of the word(s)...

Comparison:

Sniper ---------- Sniper Rifle

Don't ---------- Do Not

Limo ----------- Limousine

It's not the pronunciation of it, but the fact that it is an a shortened version of the word. Even if it is in common usage. I'm just trying to display the absurdity of many posts that people make about clips vs mags, sniper vs sniper rifle, etc. We all know what the person is talking about...so there is no need to correct the person. Just keep it to yourself, and laugh at the person's supposed ignorance. Make a thread about all of the airsoft terminology and post it here and in the FAQ section, if newbies continue to disregard that information, so be it.
Moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:06   #52
darkstar7890
 
darkstar7890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary
Send a message via MSN to darkstar7890
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatesniper View Post
IWe all know what the person is talking about...so there is no need to correct the person.
Agreed, but now this thread has gone way off topic!
darkstar7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:20   #53
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatesniper View Post
It's not the full version of the word(s)...

Comparison:

Sniper ---------- Sniper Rifle

Don't ---------- Do Not

Limo ----------- Limousine

It's not the pronunciation of it, but the fact that it is an a shortened version of the word. Even if it is in common usage. I'm just trying to display the absurdity of many posts that people make about clips vs mags, sniper vs sniper rifle, etc.
You're off the mark on one thing though:

"Limo" is a contraction of "limousine". "Don't" is a contraction of "do not". However, "sniper" is not a contraction of "sniper rifle", nor is "clip" a contraction of "magazine". A sniper and a sniper rifle are two compeltely different things. Just like a clip and a magazine are two completely different things.
Quote:
We all know what the person is talking about...so there is no need to correct the person. Just keep it to yourself, and laugh at the person's supposed ignorance. Make a thread about all of the airsoft terminology and post it here and in the FAQ section, if newbies continue to disregard that information, so be it.
There's nothing wrong with correcting people's terminology in the post, especially if it's done unobtrusively (you'll notice this little rant you started took this thread far more off topic than my single post about terminology ever did). If correcting someone's terminology offends people, they need to toughen up a bit. It's good to teach newbies proper terms. Why? Because it's incredebly easier to help them out if we're all on the same page. Stuffing it in the FAQ won't work -nobody reads the FAQ's. If they did, we wouldn't need the newbie tank. The newbie tank is here for us to help and correct new people, not perpetuate ignorance.
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:41   #54
MadMorbius
Administrator Malleus Veto
 
MadMorbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Send a message via ICQ to MadMorbius
Keep bastardizations to texting, where you're paying by the letter.

If you don't enforce spelling, grammar and punctuation, you're dooming the language to suffer degradation as common misspellings become normalized.

You kids may get away with that shit now, but when you get a job in the real world, you're in for a surprise. One typo or grammatical error in an otherwise perfect message can cost your credibility.
__________________
[/FONT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf_shooter View Post
what if it model after his?
MadMorbius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:43   #55
Moderate
 
Moderate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Under a Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
You're off the mark on one thing though:

"Limo" is a contraction of "limousine". "Don't" is a contraction of "do not". However, "sniper" is not a contraction of "sniper rifle", nor is "clip" a contraction of "magazine". A sniper and a sniper rifle are two compeltely different things. Just like a clip and a magazine are two completely different things.


There's nothing wrong with correcting people's terminology in the post, especially if it's done unobtrusively (you'll notice this little rant you started took this thread far more off topic than my single post about terminology ever did). If correcting someone's terminology offends people, they need to toughen up a bit. It's good to teach newbies proper terms. Why? Because it's incredebly easier to help them out if we're all on the same page. Stuffing it in the FAQ won't work -nobody reads the FAQ's. If they did, we wouldn't need the newbie tank. The newbie tank is here for us to help and correct new people, not perpetuate ignorance.
Fine, I'll just laugh maniacally in the corner at all of the assholes on ASC that are slowly turning into Greylocks (minus the flaming homosexuality, and the cross-dressing bit).

Last edited by Moderate; April 28th, 2009 at 11:45..
Moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:50   #56
Forever_kaos
 
Forever_kaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mississauga.
How about we just call a sniper Designated Marksman?
Or just DM. That way we can uh, be tacticool and have less of a hard time naming a sniper vs a rifle and such.
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:12   #57
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatesniper View Post
Fine, I'll just laugh maniacally in the corner at all of the assholes on ASC that are slowly turning into Greylocks (minus the flaming homosexuality, and the cross-dressing bit).
You do that.
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 13:04   #58
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_kaos View Post
How about we just call a sniper Designated Marksman?
Or just DM. That way we can uh, be tacticool and have less of a hard time naming a sniper vs a rifle and such.
But again, a sniper is not a designated marksman or DM. Two different things.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 15:58   #59
Vinciguerra
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vaughn,Ontario
How did we get from talking about airsoft guns to tomato is a fruit and how you pronounce and type out words?????????
Vinciguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 16:33   #60
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinciguerra View Post
How did we get from talking about airsoft guns to tomato is a fruit and how you pronounce and type out words?????????
Welcome to DramaSoft Canada.
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.