Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

L96 or VSR-10

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 22nd, 2009, 21:52   #1
Darin
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
L96 or VSR-10

Hello, I am a new person to airsoft. Well, more so I own one gun. A pistol. Some of my friends have been nagging me to get into airsoft, so I thought, why not? Personally I've always likes sniping, and laying back in bushes. I plan on playing outdoors mainly. So to get to it, I've been looking at two snipers. This being my first sniper I need some feedback.

L96 vs VSR-10

Some things I know so far... The L96 often has hop-up issues, and some stuff is sometimes misplaced inside. (<--- Using the word stuff is proof of my failness)

So I thought about it. I like the look of the L96, and the power of it too. But it has so many issues, its got tough parts to find upgrades for.

The VSR-10 is a Marui Clone. (Fail spelling I'm just going to have to assume)

I hear its good, and sturdy. Well, I was going to buy from:

www.buyairsoft.ca

^ Their warehouse is located roughly 30 minutes from my house. Mabye a bit more. Shipping won't take long, its locally owned and so on and so forth. The VSR-10 is $220.00 with a aluminum scope thats 3-9x40, as well it includes 2 mags, both with a cap of 30 bbs. I hear .20 is good for the VSR so I will order some of those. So $220.00, plus $45.00 for a Bi-Pod, well...Is a Bi-Pod worth the extra cash? It comes with some bbs.

The L96 is $320.00. It includes the same 3-9x40 scope, also 2 mags, some bbs, however it does include the bi-pod.

Can I get some feedback. I originally wanted the L96, but I'm really veering off to the VSR now. Please help
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 21:57   #2
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Get an AEG as your first rifle, not a sniper rifle.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 21:58   #3
Darin
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
Get an AEG as your first rifle, not a sniper rifle.
Considered it, but I'd really like a sniper. Was thinking about getting a Jing Gong M4. But nah, I want a sniper. Thanks though.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:00   #4
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril
 
FOX_111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Terrebonne, Québec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Hello, I am a new person to airsoft. Well, more so I own one gun. A pistol. Some of my friends have been nagging me to get into airsoft, so I thought, why not? Personally I've always likes sniping, and laying back in bushes. I plan on playing outdoors mainly. So to get to it, I've been looking at two snipers. This being my first sniper I need some feedback.
First thing first, a sniper is a soldier using a precision rifle and using special field craft techniques and tactics.

You should say a sniper rifle. Unless you plan on buying/hiring a sniper to do the work for you.

Whatever you plan on buying, you'll need to spend the same amount of money you paid for the rifle in upgrades parts. If you buy the real brand name, as TM or Maruzen, you'll have a nice base to start your upgrades.

Both rifles are good and should cost about the same when completed.
__________________

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:02   #5
WolvesSoulZ
 
WolvesSoulZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Saguenay, QC
Send a message via MSN to WolvesSoulZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Considered it, but I'd really like a sniper. Was thinking about getting a Jing Gong M4. But nah, I want a sniper. Thanks though.

I hope you do know getting a sniper for first gun isn't a good idea, its not like in video game or other, very harder then using an AEG..

Altough ive borowed the VSR-10 Its pretty good.

But you should get an AEG..
WolvesSoulZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:02   #6
Darin
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
First thing first, a sniper is a soldier using a precision rifle and using special field craft techniques and tactics.

You should say a sniper rifle. Unless you plan on buying/hiring a sniper to do the work for you.

Whatever you plan on buying, you'll need to spend the same amount of money you paid for the rifle in upgrades parts. If you buy the real brand name, as TM or Maruzen, you'll have a nice base to start your upgrades.

Both rifles are good and should cost about the same when completed.
Thanks. That helps. Yes I plan on upgrading, but I hear the L96 is tough to find parts for? This is another reason why I am veering to the VSR.

For those saying I should get an AEG. Everyone has a personal opinion. I really would like a sniper, if I regret it I can always buy an AEG too.

Last edited by Darin; February 22nd, 2009 at 22:05..
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:07   #7
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw
 
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Given the fact that you are new, its highly recommended you do NOT get a bolt action.

Get an AEG first so you understand more dynamics of the game, the operation of an airsoft gun, flight path of BBs, what weights to use (first off, using .20s in a bolt action is not a good idea).

Second of all, alot of people have had lots of problems ordering from that website. Your best option is to get age verified by meeting with a local rep and showing a piece of ID to prove you are 18 or older. Once you do that you will have access to the classifieds and have a wider selection of higher end rifles.

You will also want to attend a local game, where you can see it first hand, ask questions and try peoples guns out. This way you can find what gun works best with you.
__________________
My trust is in whiskey, in weed and in Slayer, its GODDAMN ELECTRIC - Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:10   #8
theshaneler
 
theshaneler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Taber, AB
the guns on that site, to be frank, are crapy, the cost to get that VSR to preform properly is more than the cost of the gun! if you want to do some range work, get a longer barrel AEG like an m16. with a sniper rifle, you can only get kills threw pure skill about 95% of the new people who get sniper rifles as their first gun sell it withing 3 monthes, and probably about 30% leave to sport all together cuz of the shity experience.

in short dont get a sniper rifle as your first gun, and eventualy when you do, get a good brand name like tokyo marui which you can game out of the box and not spend $200+ to make it gameable
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight View Post
Wildcard his gun is better than all of yours, he has magpul stuff on it, all the magpuls you can dream of. He has all of them. On his gun. I wish I had magpuls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.

Last edited by theshaneler; February 22nd, 2009 at 22:13..
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:11   #9
Darin
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw View Post
Given the fact that you are new, its highly recommended you do NOT get a bolt action.

Get an AEG first so you understand more dynamics of the game, the operation of an airsoft gun, flight path of BBs, what weights to use (first off, using .20s in a bolt action is not a good idea).

Second of all, alot of people have had lots of problems ordering from that website. Your best option is to get age verified by meeting with a local rep and showing a piece of ID to prove you are 18 or older. Once you do that you will have access to the classifieds and have a wider selection of higher end rifles.

You will also want to attend a local game, where you can see it first hand, ask questions and try peoples guns out. This way you can find what gun works best with you.
I know it is recommended I don't get one as a new player. Also, would you mind to post out a few errors people have been getting with buyairsoft.ca? That would be well appreciated.

I plan on playing airsoft to have fun. Sure I'd love to win, but that's really beside the point.

For all snipers out there, in order to learn you have to do it in the first place.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:15   #10
theshaneler
 
theshaneler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Taber, AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
I know it is recommended I don't get one as a new player. Also, would you mind to post out a few errors people have been getting with buyairsoft.ca? That would be well appreciated.

I plan on playing airsoft to have fun. Sure I'd love to win, but that's really beside the point.

For all snipers out there, in order to learn you have to do it in the first place.
trust me, its no fun to sit out there and get no kills all day. although i did not start with a sniper rifle, i did play a game or 2 with one early on in my airsoft career, and man it sucked.

it is much better to learn how to sneak around and hide with an AEG, trust me if you dont know what you are doing, you will get hit alot more and will have an over all shity experience
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight View Post
Wildcard his gun is better than all of yours, he has magpul stuff on it, all the magpuls you can dream of. He has all of them. On his gun. I wish I had magpuls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:17   #11
Darin
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post
trust me, its no fun to sit out there and get no kills all day. although i did not start with a sniper rifle, i did play a game or 2 with one early on in my airsoft career, and man it sucked.

it is much better to learn how to sneak around and hide with an AEG, trust me if you dont know what you are doing, you will get hit alot more and will have an over all shity experience
All I hear is don't get a sniper. Well, if I were to get an AEG. I would like to spend the same amount of money. So recommend please.

Keep talking about the snipers too.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:21   #12
theshaneler
 
theshaneler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Taber, AB
best bet is to get age verified and get a used gun in the classifieds. any new gun will run upwards of $500
but you will be getting a good brand and not some knock off

as a side note, you can pick up a kraken AK47 for about $150 and they are quite nice for the price!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight View Post
Wildcard his gun is better than all of yours, he has magpul stuff on it, all the magpuls you can dream of. He has all of them. On his gun. I wish I had magpuls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:22   #13
Darin
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post
best bet is to get age verified and get a used gun in the classifieds. any new gun will run upwards of $500
but you will be getting a good brand and not some knock off

as a side note, you can pick up a kraken AK47 for about $150 and they are quite nice for the price!
Appreciate that, any sites you can direct me too for ordering, and how do I become age verified?
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:26   #14
theshaneler
 
theshaneler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Taber, AB
here is a link to the FAQ section of the site:
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
there is alot of information in there, as well as a how to get verified and first gun threads... happy reading!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight View Post
Wildcard his gun is better than all of yours, he has magpul stuff on it, all the magpuls you can dream of. He has all of them. On his gun. I wish I had magpuls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 22:26   #15
Gerkraz
 
Gerkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Send a message via MSN to Gerkraz
The point of not getting a sniper rifle to start with is for several reasons, which I will outline:

1) A properly upgraded sniper rifle can cost upwards of $1000. Things you'll need (in no particular order): Tightbore barrel, hop-up chamber, spring, spring guide, piston, barrel spacers, trigger, scope.

2) Airsoft sniper rifles do not tend to outrange AEGs out-of-the-box (see above). Even fully upgraded, they do not significantly outrange AEGs. This means that, either way, you're likely to be in-range of your opponents, so if you miss you will get lit up.

3) You will always, always, ALWAYS be out-gunned by your opponents. This can really wear down your morale, especially if you're not used to it. This apply doubly if you also are still learning and are thus not good at being a sniper.

4) It's ALL about your ghillie suit. If you get a sniper rifle, you will HAVE to own a ghillie suit. Most people make their own, since it's cheaper and better. This is painstaking process though, which is continually ongoing. When you reach the field, you will need to "update" it with local foliage. Don't forget to ghillie your rifle too...

5) Patience is essential; being a sniper is a slow game. The distance you move is often measured in inches, not feet.

6) Being a sniper does not mean camping. Expect to take flak from people if they had to spend 30 minutes trying to find you, because you didn't move from your spot.

Basically, being a sniper is HARD. It's like loading up an FPS you've never played and starting off at the highest difficulty: you're GOING to get your ass handed to you.

If you can deal with that, that's fine, but I (and the WHOLE airsoft community) can't recommend it.

I played airsoft for 2 years before I even considered buying a sniper rifle and making my ghillie suit.
__________________

Need age verification in the St. John's, NL, area? Contact me.
Gerkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
Airsoft Depot

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 13:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.