Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

FPS - Whats the REAL story?

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 19th, 2009, 19:17   #16
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
The reason a lot of clones shoot high is because the Chinese manufacturers have caught onto the fact that a lot of newbs equate FPS with better range and accuracy. There are 3 things that will influence an airsoft gun's range accuracy far, far more than FPS:

1) Weight of round. 0.20's are usless for outdoor. They bounce off everything and don't stabalise well. Heavier rounds may not physically fly as far, but they'll be stable for more of their flight, actually giving you a longer accurate range. Most people use .25's and .28's. CDN_Stalker did an awesome study on BB weight and accuracy last year. It's sitting in the forum here somewhere, do a search for it and have a read.

2) Tightbore: Helps stabalise the BB on a narrow flight path before it even leaves the gun.

3) Proper hop-up adjustment and good hop-up. A really good hop-up will also do far more for your range than FPS>

4) A well built gun. I know I said 3 things, but this deserves to be mentioned. This is another bonus of buying more expensive guns over a clone. Just ask Crunchmeister about his Real Sword AK shooting 330 and how accurate it is.

The "sweet spot" for BB's is usually around 360-380 (chronied on .20), shooting .25 or .28 rounds, with a good and properly adjusted hop-up.
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 19:21   #17
Donster
 
Donster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ontario
believe me, it wasn't until 2 weeks ago that i thought that 400fps + tightbore +.28g bbs = best range and accuracy. like i said, and like everyone else said, optimum range and accuracy in terms of fps is usually found in 360-380fps guns. read this thread. this is where i got my info:

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=76161

It helped me alot and made me (the same day) msg my gundoc and change my FPS plan from 390-400fps to 370-380fps. I am now at 375fps
I cant wait to field this baby!
__________________
(SFW:Check out this band!)www.myspace.com/maryroseobsession
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 19:24   #18
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
The reason a lot of clones shoot high is because the Chinese manufacturers have caught onto the fact that a lot of newbs equate FPS with better range and accuracy.
That's not entirely accurate. CA started building guns with increasingly higher fps than TM (well before today's clones came along) and every just followed suit. Everyone figured out that most people outside of Japan who buy TM just ends up upgrading the springs anyways, so offering a hotter gun to begin with constitutes a competitive edge.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 19:29   #19
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril
 
FOX_111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Terrebonne, Québec
The fps in guns is not just for increased range. That's the job of the hopup mostly. It's for the flight time of the BBs.

If a rifle is well balanced, higher fps will produce less wind deviation.

So, high fps + heavy BB + good hopup + smooth barrel = more acuracy potential.

As a rule of thumb, 350fps (chronied with .20g) shooting .25g BB will give a very good ratio of speed/acuracy.
__________________

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 19:30   #20
swatt13
Captain Awesome
 
swatt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Greater Grande Prairie (greater than vancouver)
donster is close, i think its more along the lines, new buyers assossiate higher fps w/ my gun is better than yours. why buy a tm for $400 that shoots 280 when i can buy a kraken for $180 that shoots 370. i have a few guys like this that come out to our field thinking that.
__________________
Age verifier southern Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
swatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 19:34   #21
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
That's not entirely accurate. CA started building guns with increasingly higher fps than TM (well before today's clones came along) and every just followed suit. Everyone figured out that most people outside of Japan who buy TM just ends up upgrading the springs anyways, so offering a hotter gun to begin with constitutes a competitive edge.
True, though CA guns still shoot stock around 315, a far cry from the sub-400 a lot of ACM guns shoot.
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 19:41   #22
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
True, though CA guns still shoot stock around 315, a far cry from the sub-400 a lot of ACM guns shoot.
The Chinese clones have taken CA's lesson and ran off the cliff with it. But then again, ideal fps limit/range has a cultural component. We like 400fps and less in Canada because that's what rules Darwinism has made us accustom to. In HK, it's a lot higher and people are fine with that.

I don't think we're necessarily right, and they're necessarily wrong. We've threads about over 400fps game on ASC, and it really is a matter of taste (and face it, one's mettle).
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 20:12   #23
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
The Chinese clones have taken CA's lesson and ran off the cliff with it. But then again, ideal fps limit/range has a cultural component. We like 400fps and less in Canada because that's what rules Darwinism has made us accustom to. In HK, it's a lot higher and people are fine with that.

I don't think we're necessarily right, and they're necessarily wrong. We've threads about over 400fps game on ASC, and it really is a matter of taste (and face it, one's mettle).
While that is also true, I think physics are universal
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 13:16   #24
Donster
 
Donster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
While that is also true, I think physics are universal
+1. while it might be great that hey are running hot overseas, they will not get better accuracy or range then us.
__________________
(SFW:Check out this band!)www.myspace.com/maryroseobsession

Last edited by Donster; February 20th, 2009 at 13:28..
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 13:25   #25
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Considering they've been doing this a lot longer than we have, I don't think one or two individuals learning from us constitutes evidence for a lack of acute awareness in Asia of airsoft ballistics. No more than the regular American popping up to ask about basic airsoft stuff as an accurate indicator that the knowledge is unavailable on American airsoft forums.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 13:27   #26
Donster
 
Donster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Considering they've been doing this a lot longer than we have, I don't think one or two individuals learning from us constitutes evidence for a lack of acute awareness in Asia of airsoft ballistics. No more than the regular American popping up to ask about basic airsoft stuff as an accurate indicator that the knowledge is unavailable on American airsoft forums.
very true. but i was talking to a friend of mine from japan, and apparently the heavier bbs just aren't that popular there. now i understand that in japan they are required by law to only have a certain FPS limit, but still, heavier bbs would provide better range and accuracy.
__________________
(SFW:Check out this band!)www.myspace.com/maryroseobsession
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 13:35   #27
mcguyver
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern Alberta
Except for EAR, all of Alberta is 425-430 fps. It has produced a bit of an arms race, and it makes you want to start at 400 fps and go up from there.

If your guns shoot 400 fps, roll with it.
__________________
Age verifier Northern Alberta

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 13:37   #28
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Heavier BBs aren't universally beneficial. In guns with already low energy to begin with, they will reduce velocity to the point that you can start dodging them really easily. I don't see their lack of popularity in Japan as an indication of lack of ballistics understanding, more like a lack of muzzle energy to work with.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 13:38   #29
Huron
GabeGuitarded
 
Huron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
I've used my MB03 with a Laylax 110 (330~ fps) spring in it and had no trouble with it. I was using everything stock and SIIS .30's and I felt comfortable taking 50-75 foot shots with it, and getting hits. With better hop up and barrel upgrades I would have been fine with anything under 200 feet I would guess. In other words, more that 400 fps isn't necessary unless you're taking very long shots (IE, far enough that your target has time to hear/see the shot and move out of the way).
__________________
Quote:
The war between the sexes is over. We won the second women started doing pole dancing for exercise.
Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 13:47   #30
Styrak
 
Styrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Send a message via MSN to Styrak
[QUOTE=GabeGuitarded;923689]I've used my MB03 with a Laylax 110 (330~ fps) spring in it and had no trouble with it. I was using everything stock and SIIS .30's and I felt comfortable taking 50-75 foot shots with it, and getting hits.QUOTE]

I hope so! A stock TM AEG can get regular hits out to 100+ feet.
__________________

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 23:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.