Airsoft Canada
AirsoftParts.ca

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

how effective are shotguns?

:

Newbie Tank

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 6th, 2009, 22:32   #1
sushicake
 
sushicake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Markham, ON
how effective are shotguns?

Okay total noob question, but how effective are the springer shotguns? I know the gas ones shoots amazingly great, but what about the springers? Not the ones shoot one, but the ones that shoot the tri-bb shots

Like what kinda FPS can I get outta one of these?
__________________
"Don't you know the first law of physics? Anything fun costs atleast $8"

Last edited by sushicake; January 6th, 2009 at 22:36..
sushicake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 23:09   #2
Crunchmeister
 
Crunchmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In your bedroom going though your underwear drawer
Single or multi-BB spring shotguns are great guns that will operate effectively in any temperature. The good quality ones tend to be pretty reliable and durable too as they have very few moving parts to break, so there's really less to go wrong with them.

The good shotguns tend to be quite accurate and really shoot more like any other airsoft gun than a shotgun, even the multi-shot ones. You could easily put an optic on single shot shotguns and almost use them as a sniper gun. The multi-BB ones don't really spread a whole lot and can be quite accurate even at a good range. You can get a better spread for close-range use by mixing BB weights in each shell.

Personally though, I think they're better for more experienced players, especially for outdoors use. Having a single shot pump action gun can put inexperienced players at a serious disadvantage against even noobs with AEGs. I know I couldn't see myself wielding my shotgun in a game as a primary. Slung over my back to use as a secondary, perhaps, but I know I would get my ass handed to me in an engagement with a shotgun. lol
__________________
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 23:09   #3
johjoh
 
johjoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Send a message via MSN to johjoh
Heres one witch you could easily just switch the spring and buy more shells dont know if it will last long tough

http://buyairsoft.ca/catalog/product...roducts_id=408
johjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 23:17   #4
cbcsteve
Nice Guy
 
cbcsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Markham
Hey do you remember last game Sushi?

I was using Henry's UTG Shotgun (Can also be found in Wal-Mart, labeled Smith and Wesson) but for a springer it shot about I believe 300FPS will have to re-chrono. It has slam-fire which means no matter how many times you pump is how many will shoot out, of course the more pumps the less accurate.

It was fun to use but a drawback is it does not use shells it uses a mag. That was okay though cause I did not have to worry about reloading as often I just kept popping them out, definitely a good backup and you can try primary but you would definitely need to pair up with another person

Range wise it sailed out to the end of Defcon field from the entry point, its fairly accurate. But one drawback is like Crunch said you have to be a bit experienced when using it definitely need to have no fear of getting hit because you have to line up your shots 100% to get the kill.
__________________
- Pistolero Steve -


Last edited by cbcsteve; January 6th, 2009 at 23:21..
cbcsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 23:25   #5
Shrapnel[Op-For]
 
Shrapnel[Op-For]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond B.C
there's one of the more long time experienced players at our club who uses a tm spaz quite effectively in outdoor games. You need to run a lot, as well be quite sneaky. It may just be a spring gun with lower rate of fire than aeg's but man is that guy deadly with that thing.
Shrapnel[Op-For] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 13:26   #6
sushicake
 
sushicake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Markham, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcsteve View Post
Hey do you remember last game Sushi?

I was using Henry's UTG Shotgun (Can also be found in Wal-Mart, labeled Smith and Wesson) but for a springer it shot about I believe 300FPS will have to re-chrono. It has slam-fire which means no matter how many times you pump is how many will shoot out, of course the more pumps the less accurate.

It was fun to use but a drawback is it does not use shells it uses a mag. That was okay though cause I did not have to worry about reloading as often I just kept popping them out, definitely a good backup and you can try primary but you would definitely need to pair up with another person

Range wise it sailed out to the end of Defcon field from the entry point, its fairly accurate. But one drawback is like Crunch said you have to be a bit experienced when using it definitely need to have no fear of getting hit because you have to line up your shots 100% to get the kill.
Now I'm debating since I just got a AK74 out of a trade, so thats definitely going to be my primary for the moment, but then I was saving up money for a new AEG. So now my dilemma is either get a new AEG (Steve I may be interested in one of your MP5's =P) or get a shotgun...

Note: Steve dont say buy an AEG just cause you want the money =D
__________________
"Don't you know the first law of physics? Anything fun costs atleast $8"
sushicake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 14:01   #7
Roughneck
used to be Spencer aka Sue
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Using a shotgun changes your style of play. I use one as my indoor primary and I love it. With a little practice, reloads can be done very quickly and as Crunchy said, mixing weights for bb's makes for a nice spread. You have to be quiet and move quickly from room to room. The biggest upside is that it works in all weather, no gas and no batteries.

For outdoor games I use one of my AEG's.. but I always keep the shotgun in my gun case for a backup. I hear the TM clones are pretty good but there is a difference.. I'd spend the extra money and get the real deal.
__________________
Tpr. Spencer, DF
RCD C Sqn - CFB Gagetown

Please save for me, some gallantry
That will echo when I'm gone
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 14:03   #8
dragwindsor
 
dragwindsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to dragwindsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Using a shotgun changes your style of play. I use one as my indoor primary and I love it. With a little practice, reloads can be done very quickly and as Crunchy said, mixing weights for bb's makes for a nice spread. You have to be quiet and move quickly from room to room. The biggest upside is that it works in all weather, no gas and no batteries.

For outdoor games I use one of my AEG's.. but I always keep the shotgun in my gun case for a backup. I hear the TM clones are pretty good but there is a difference.. I'd spend the extra money and get the real deal.
That's a great idea.

Per 30 round shell, what is you loading order, weight, per weight?
__________________
To save the trouble of Ancorp reading it in every post: Inokatsu



dragwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 14:05   #9
Tankdude
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ontario
Send a message via MSN to Tankdude
I mix .25 and .2 in bag and load
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 14:09   #10
Roughneck
used to be Spencer aka Sue
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragwindsor View Post
That's a great idea.

Per 30 round shell, what is you loading order, weight, per weight?
I mix .20's, .25's and a few .28's in a speed loader.. shake them up and fill the shells. Normally I dont like the idea of .28's in CQB.. but it really helps the spread.

On a side note, I generally carry a pair of 1911's with my shotgun when I need rapid fire or bail out.
__________________
Tpr. Spencer, DF
RCD C Sqn - CFB Gagetown

Please save for me, some gallantry
That will echo when I'm gone
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 14:11   #11
dragwindsor
 
dragwindsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Send a message via MSN to dragwindsor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I mix .20's, .25's and a few .28's in a speed loader.. shake them up and fill the shells. Normally I dont like the idea of .28's in CQB.. but it really helps the spread.

On a side note, I generally carry a pair of 1911's with my shotgun when I need rapid fire or bail out.
Thanks.


I usually carry multipile GBB's as well.

I wais I had the setup to carry my 2 KWA M11's.
__________________
To save the trouble of Ancorp reading it in every post: Inokatsu



dragwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 15:54   #12
cbcsteve
Nice Guy
 
cbcsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Markham
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushicake View Post
Note: Steve dont say buy an AEG just cause you want the money =D
I'll say buy the MP5 if it suits your play. But don't buy it if you feel that it does not. The MP5 is really a gun you got to pickup and hold and try out before buying one. Many people I have seen made their decision right there after holding and trying it out. Some walk away saying its not for me or some want it right away
__________________
- Pistolero Steve -


Last edited by cbcsteve; January 7th, 2009 at 16:00..
cbcsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 16:01   #13
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I mix .20's, .25's and a few .28's in a speed loader.. shake them up and fill the shells. Normally I dont like the idea of .28's in CQB.. but it really helps the spread.

On a side note, I generally carry a pair of 1911's with my shotgun when I need rapid fire or bail out.
I have yet to try my M500 in a game but I'll have dual G17's to get me out of trouble. (Dual wield reload too!) 5 mags so the last mag goes solo or it'll dual with my WE P14.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 16:04   #14
Roughneck
used to be Spencer aka Sue
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Good stuff, I've practiced reloading both my 1911's at once.. think I've pretty much got it figured out. The reality of it all is by the time I've emptied both pistols.. either the engagement is over or Im dead haha. Just the same, I carry 6 mags for them.. seeing most games dont restrict pistol ammo.
__________________
Tpr. Spencer, DF
RCD C Sqn - CFB Gagetown

Please save for me, some gallantry
That will echo when I'm gone
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 19:29   #15
coach
aka coachster
 
coach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: T dot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Good stuff, I've practiced reloading both my 1911's at once.. think I've pretty much got it figured out. The reality of it all is by the time I've emptied both pistols.. either the engagement is over or Im dead haha. Just the same, I carry 6 mags for them.. seeing most games dont restrict pistol ammo.
btw, my dual reload (only 2 in existence: one for G17 and one for 1911 single stack) does not require holstering one or grabbing a mag. the mags are horizontally mounted for 'hands free' access. both loaded at the same time. index fingers never needs to leave trigger.

We will get video of it in action this summer at a game.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
AirsoftParts.ca

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 00:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.