Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

My Freedom Could Be In Your Hands - Up and Coming Court Case (re: specarms)

:

General

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:33   #91
JamesBond_007
 
JamesBond_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St.John's, Newfoundland
Send a message via MSN to JamesBond_007
I really hope this works out for him. It really would be a shame to get the book thrown at you for selling nothing more than toys to a bunch of people who like to play army. Maybe 'technically' they see a crime, but in all seriousness they need to look at how silly that seems.

Hopefully though, the judge will see how silly it is, and in reserving her decision for January maybe she will end up being nice to him.
__________________

Old Buy/Sell Ratings
JamesBond_007 is offline  
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:29   #92
Lawdog
 
Lawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Aurora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chylder View Post
Nice would be if the judge waived all charges and let the poor guy go home.
Ain't going to happen.

Usually a judge reserves a decision when he/she wants to write out some lengthy reasons why they are doing what they are doing.

If this indeed takes place in this case, we might actually learn something from the decision other than just the sentence.

Ld
__________________
Quote:
When the elephants fight, it is bad for the grass. When the elephants make love, it is also bad for the grass.
Kenyan Proverb
Lawdog is offline  
Old December 4th, 2008, 16:07   #93
Capt.erHead
 
Capt.erHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Toronto
Send a message via ICQ to Capt.erHead Send a message via MSN to Capt.erHead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
Ain't going to happen.

Usually a judge reserves a decision when he/she wants to write out some lengthy reasons why they are doing what they are doing.

If this indeed takes place in this case, we might actually learn something from the decision other than just the sentence.

Ld
Ah Lawdog...so generally, I'm guessing, this is a very bad thing for Will?
Capt.erHead is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:35   #94
604DA9
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver BC
Hey everyone!

Sorry for the late reply guys. It's been a very emotional few days, a lot of time spent with my family and friends.

Some of you have heard correctly, the sentence date has now been postponed until January 29th. Crown and defence spent the 2 days doing submissions. At the end of the 2nd day the judge felt that she did not have adequate time in coming to a sentencing decision.

The main thing people need to understand is that at this point i've already plead guilty, judge is trying to decide what is a fair sentence.

I can tell you all this, crown is asking for 4 years in jail. My lawyer has pushed for 2 years less 1 day conditional sentence (house arrest, curfew etc). There isn't presidence for such a case and that's why they are having troubles deciding.

If anyone IS aware of any cases in the east that deals with import and sales of 'prohibited devices' that happened out in the east coast please let me know, not sure how much help it would be now since submissions are complete and the judge is taking the time to deliberate.

I have a little over a month to find out what will happen. My advice to any retailers out there now is to start open communications with Canada Customs, firearms centre, and police as to what you are selling and if it is legal to sell. Get it in writing as well.

I still see many people on here as 'retailers' selling full markings Airsoft guns, I just want to caution you guys to educate yiurselves before it's too late.

As much as I enjoyed promoting this sport that I loved for so long, I can tell you that it was not worth ruining my life for.

Maybe in the end the government may use me as an example. Whatever the case is it's affected me greatly and I very remorseful.

I hope it turns out well and I can serve my sentence here on the outside while contributing to society
604DA9 is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:35   #95
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montreal, QC
I'm sorry but to go to jail for this is... ridiculous. What kind of judge is even considering that... Some people need to take their head out of their ass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Shiney View Post
Yes it is hard to find an Instructor that teaches how to Finger, Suck, Squeeze and Blow all at the same time.
Ronan is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:53   #96
szetor
 
szetor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
I'm sorry but to go to jail for this is... ridiculous. What kind of judge is even considering that... Some people need to take their head out of their ass.
wow .. 4 years jail time...
szetor is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:49   #97
Lawdog
 
Lawdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Aurora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
I'm sorry but to go to jail for this is... ridiculous. What kind of judge is even considering that... Some people need to take their head out of their ass.
Ronan, if the defense lawyer is asking for a deuce less conditional, than there is a very high chance of incarceration.

And two days argument is a long long time on sentencing. Both sides are treating the matter very seriously.

Ld
__________________
Quote:
When the elephants fight, it is bad for the grass. When the elephants make love, it is also bad for the grass.
Kenyan Proverb
Lawdog is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:53   #98
DuffMan
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Send a message via ICQ to DuffMan Send a message via MSN to DuffMan
Will, did you get a public defender or are you paying out of pocket? If so, we might be able to set up a defense fund?
__________________


"He resisted. I asked him to comply."
"Telling him to 'eat it, bitch' is not really a request."
DuffMan is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:20   #99
toadhound
 
toadhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Thunder Bay
Only in Canada can a child molester get 2 years and someone selling toy guns can get four. Sometimes I am ashamed to be Canadian.
toadhound is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:05   #100
JamesBond_007
 
JamesBond_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St.John's, Newfoundland
Send a message via MSN to JamesBond_007
That's so true - the criminal justice system really sickens me.
__________________

Old Buy/Sell Ratings
JamesBond_007 is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:09   #101
BlackRain
 
BlackRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
petition

I think now would be the time to petition for a suspended sentence. Let the courts know that we are behind him as a community and find jail time intolerable for importing and selling toy guns. This may be the time where we as a community can make a difference.... We would need to get this petition up as quickly as possible to be there on time for sentencing.

Lets get this going for him folks....
__________________
Cheers,
BlackRain.

We are not the masks we wear, .... But when we don them we become them!
BlackRain is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:19   #102
Dracheous
Lego Head
 
Dracheous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Gatineau, that's right I'm in QUEBEC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRain View Post
I think now would be the time to petition for a suspended sentence. Let the courts know that we are behind him as a community and find jail time intolerable for importing and selling toy guns. This may be the time where we as a community can make a difference.... We would need to get this petition up as quickly as possible to be there on time for sentencing.

Lets get this going for him folks....
No. Unless there was direct contact with him prior to this case, any further involvement from the "community" COULD actually be damaging to his case. Unless said petition is not only requested but written by his lawyer, I'd say its a very bad idea.
__________________
_________________________________

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:27   #103
BlackRain
 
BlackRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous View Post
No. Unless there was direct contact with him prior to this case, any further involvement from the "community" COULD actually be damaging to his case. Unless said petition is not only requested but written by his lawyer, I'd say its a very bad idea.
How do you figure.... there needs to be no contact between him and others in order to get a petition going to fight an injustice. The community is a law biding group that has in my eyes policed itself very well by restricting purchases through age verification. I don't know of many other sports or communities that can boast that. Having a community back you up in your time of need could by no means be damaging to a persons case. It shows the judicial system that there is something to be considered when rendering a sentence.
__________________
Cheers,
BlackRain.

We are not the masks we wear, .... But when we don them we become them!

Last edited by BlackRain; December 5th, 2008 at 12:32..
BlackRain is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:33   #104
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRain View Post
How do you figure.... there needs to be no contact between him and others in order to get a petition going to fight an injustice. The community is a law biding group that has in my eyes policed itself very well by restricting purchases through age verification. I don't know of many other sports or communities that can boast that. Having a community back you up in your time of need could by no means be damaging to a persons case. It shows the judicial system that there is something to be considered when rendering a sentence.
That's what the letters were for.
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline  
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:39   #105
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Will has already asked for community input in the form of letters from members that have directly dealt with him. Everything else is hearsay and doesn't apply.

If Will needs more from us, I'm sure he'll ask. We shouldn't be trying to run his defence, he has a professional for that. We're just a bunch of yahoos, we shouldn't think so highly of ourselves that we can take a man's life into our own hands.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline  
Closed ThreadTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 21:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.