Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft Canada 2008

:

General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:25   #106
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb
 
Mantelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
You can now hide the left column; look in your User CP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options
__________________
Mantelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:27   #107
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave
 
Affliction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Markham-ON
Send a message via AIM to Affliction Send a message via MSN to Affliction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantelope View Post
You can now hide the left column; look in your User CP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options
Thanks
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:33   #108
Crunchmeister
 
Crunchmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In your bedroom going though your underwear drawer
Thanks Harley. Much better now that we can disable the side bar.

Also, just a suggestion - using a smaller font in the side bar might make it a bit more useable.

Also, putting the extra thread title at the top of the screen on one line rather than taking up 2 spaces would be nicer.

Category > Thread title

rather than

THREAD TITLE

Category
__________________

Last edited by Crunchmeister; November 13th, 2008 at 11:36..
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:35   #109
Double Tapper
 
Double Tapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The land of the over regulated and the banners
Send a message via MSN to Double Tapper
OK.THANKS
__________________
Double Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:39   #110
kalnaren
 
kalnaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantelope View Post
You can now hide the left column; look in your User CP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options
THANK YOU.

That column was the single most annoying thing to change with ASC.
__________________

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:44   #111
Crunchmeister
 
Crunchmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In your bedroom going though your underwear drawer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
THANK YOU.

That column was the single most annoying thing to change with ASC.
Agreed. There have been a lot of changes, some better than others, but that one... well, no disrespect intended, but it was a BAD idea.
__________________
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:44   #112
Double Tapper
 
Double Tapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The land of the over regulated and the banners
Send a message via MSN to Double Tapper
Cool, thanks Harley.
__________________
Double Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:54   #113
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb
 
Mantelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Thanks Harley. Much better now that we can disable the side bar.

Also, just a suggestion - using a smaller font in the side bar might make it a bit more useable.

Also, putting the extra thread title at the top of the screen on one line rather than taking up 2 spaces would be nicer.

Category > Thread title

rather than

THREAD TITLE

Category
It's a little more complex than that... we're using H1 and H2 tags for the title so that google and other search engines index us more completely, which are block elements, not inline elements. I think I just figured out the CSS to make it right, though.
__________________
Mantelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:05   #114
Crunchmeister
 
Crunchmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In your bedroom going though your underwear drawer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantelope View Post
It's a little more complex than that... we're using H1 and H2 tags for the title so that google and other search engines index us more completely, which are block elements, not inline elements. I think I just figured out the CSS to make it right, though.
Nice. Looks better on 1 line now. Still looks redundant from the client perspective though, since that same info it already available at 2 other different places on the page.

But Google should be able to have the same level of indexing by using meta tags rather than making it displayable elements on the page. Should it not?
__________________
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 14:50   #115
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer
 
ILLusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Nice. Looks better on 1 line now. Still looks redundant from the client perspective though, since that same info it already available at 2 other different places on the page.

But Google should be able to have the same level of indexing by using meta tags rather than making it displayable elements on the page. Should it not?
Yes, Google picks up meta tags, but having them reinforced in H1 and H2 tags will increase exposure of the page topics.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 14:55   #116
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Huh, the new threads list on the front page seem to be listing all new threads, even the ones in the private forums.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 15:15   #117
Lisa
Looking for form T-whatev
 
Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Trenton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Huh, the new threads list on the front page seem to be listing all new threads, even the ones in the private forums.

Are they sections you have access to?
__________________
Nothing to see here
May you live in interesting times.
ASCMART, your smart choice
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 15:16   #118
The Saint
 
The Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Are they sections you have access to?
Nope. Looks like I'm seeing infraction forum and CAPS, at the very least.
__________________
"The Bird of Hermes is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame."
The Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 15:25   #119
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb
 
Mantelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Nope. Looks like I'm seeing infraction forum and CAPS, at the very least.
Changed one option I shouldn't have last night. Should be displaying properly now.
__________________
Mantelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 16:25   #120
Crunchmeister
 
Crunchmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In your bedroom going though your underwear drawer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Yes, Google picks up meta tags, but having them reinforced in H1 and H2 tags will increase exposure of the page topics.
Yeah, I guess so. If it gives higher visibility on google, then it's probably a good idea.

Perhaps a good idea would be to hide them in the footer of the page somewhere and have them the same as the background color. Then they wouldn't clutter the top of the page and chew up that extra real estate for no practical purpose to the end user.
__________________
Crunchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop


Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Airsoft Canada
BuyAirsoft

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.